cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

BT Sport & Discovery Joint Venture - any latest updates?

The CMA (Competition and Markets Authority) approved the JV (joint venture) of BT Sports & Discovery/Warner Bros (which owns Eurosport). This was in July 2022.

Its been over a month & i was wondering if there is any news whether there will be any plans to bring these channels onto Now TV.

I envy our Irish (customers) who have the right to purchase Sky Sports & BT Sports via Now (even Premier Sports for the full sport pack).

I have Sky Sports via Now & was hoping that Now can bring BT Sports to the customers here in UK.

Will this JV make it a higher chance or lower chance for UK customers getting BT Sports (& possibly Eurosport).

Im unable to afford BT sport monthly pass of £25 & have long waited for them to offer a short-term discount offer to entice me but nothing budging at the moment.

Last thing we all want is BT Sport / Eurosport (possibly soon to be Discovery Sport) putting all these channels/services on their own streaming services & customers having to fork out another subscription etc.

Any updates would be gratefully appreciated especially for those in UK looking for a full sport pack setup.

9 REPLIES 9
Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User as I understand it, the deal will mean those that subscribe to BT Sport directly with BT will get access to Discovery+ content as part of their current subscription (at least that's what I hope as it's why I've hung into my BT Sport's subscription during the off season). Eurosport content will stay as a stand alone subscription but added to the package in the future.

Anything else will be down to Sky and BT/Discovery/Warner agreeing a way of offering subscriptions into a combined offer, which, to be honest, I doubt they'll do as it will mean ripping up their existing offers to Sky customers who already get free access to Discovery+.

https://newsroom.bt.com/bt-group-and-warner-bros-discovery-agree-to-form-new-premium-sports-joint-venture-for-the-uk-and-ireland/

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Saint1976 

One thing I have wondered for a while, as we know that a fair chunk of BT customers will be transferred to EE at some point. If I remember correctly it was mainly those with broadband and TV that will be moved over, with some broadband customers remaining BT, most likely for businesses and us standard customers will be shifted over EE.

Then there is the BT sport price with EE for £15 a month. 

Do you think this merger will allow those EE customers with BT sport to get Discovery+ for free? That is something I have never managed to see anywhere in the announcements. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

https://frontofficesports.com/warner-bros-discovery-and-bt-sport-close-deal-to-create-sports-media-g...

Looks this deal has now officially completed.

Just a waiting game now to see what will happen in terms of services.

I have also taken the plunge to get BT Sports monthly passfor 1 month.Big sports in september including Premier League & Champions League as well as UFC & WWE events like Clash in the Castle at Cardiff.

I have also been keeping tabs on the BT Sports community waiting for updates.

Hoping Now TV can remove "Boost" & offer HD / 4K contents as standard rather than paying for this feature.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

NOW won’t be removing boost any time soon. What boost will probably morph into is a way to remove adverts.

My gut feeling is that BT sports will be merged into Discovery+. Obviously pricing is key though. Thankfully I’m with EE so if I wanted I can get BT sport for £15 a month.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I currently only pay £5 for BT Sports via EE so I doubt I will get discovery plus but I do get a full 4K BT Sport TV App experience so I doubt I can complain. 

Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User follow the links in the below article. You may get Discovery+ for free with your EE subscription.

https://www.cordbusters.co.uk/discovery-plus-free-for-bt-sport-subscribers/

Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User Discovery+ is now available for free with BT Sport

https://www.cordbusters.co.uk/discovery-plus-free-for-bt-sport-subscribers/

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Saint1976 

Something I fully plan to take advantage of as my yearly subscription is due for renewal in January 😎

Although I’d rather they make BT sport and it’s content available on Discovery+ so we can create watchlists etc. plus the BT sport app in my opinion is awful. 

Saint1976
Elite 3

@gavs82008 I don't mind the BT Sport app. It's a bit clunky in places but with a lot of the content being 4k and much more stable than Now I can live with it.