cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now tv box crashes on power on

i have been getting this more often than not. I power up the now tv box, the flashing logo comes on and the grey mottled background appears but no text. It hangs enlessly with just the grey background. No amount of button pressing gets any response. The only way to get it re-booted is to power off and on from the mains.

Is this a common fault ?

18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Well it has been switched on ever since I posted this issue and just tried to access the movie portal and the same frozen grey screen with no response from any remote buttons.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Well it has been switched on ever since I posted this issue and just tried to access the movie portal and the same frozen grey screen with no response from any remote buttons.

Given that you've tried all reasonable methods of getting your 'black' box to work correctly, sadly it would seem that you require a replacement device...

ukbobboy
Legend

@SeeMoreDigital @Anonymous User @Anonymous User @schnapps

Hi SMD

I totally agree with you when you say: "....you've tried all reasonable methods of getting your 'black' box to work correctly, ..... seem that you require a replacement device...".

Therefore, it is time for @Anonymous User to exchange the machine under it's guarantee, to do anything else would be not worth anymore time or effort.

UK Bob

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy wrote:

Do you think that @Anonymous User constant plugging in and plugging out of the Now TV box could have caused the crashing problem to develop?

It shouldn't do...

That said, this particular (low voltage) set-top box has been designed to be left-on 24/7. Primarily so it can receive automatic software updates.

I'd also add that if anyone has their NOW TV box connected to the internet via Wi-Fi, they'll be less likely to suffer IP address issues if they keep their boxes left-on 24/7 Smiley Wink

Legend 5
Legend 5

Ukbobboy, I turn off one of mine. Not for power reasons but because it is on a signal extension lead with other items that stay lit. No problems so far. I do however have a spare just in case. The lounge box stays on most of time.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

There have been a few people reporting similar issues, myself included.

To get the box going, when you see the grey screen, press the Now TV button on your remote and it should start the app. From there you can carry on with Now TV or press home and the main menu should load.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes -  I've noticed this too -  but only recently.  Guessing it is somehow linked to the new interface features.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Yes -  I've noticed this too -  but only recently.  Guessing it is somehow linked to the new interface features.

MontyMouse

Just out of curiosity, do you switch the NowTV box off at the electrical power mains when the box is not in use or do you leave the box permanently on at the power mains ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I turn it off on the power mains.  As others have said...  there is then about a 50% chance of a crash on restart