cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Gifting an old box

Hello folk, I have an old nowtv box I would like to give to some friends who are currently poorly. All they want is to use the box for smart tv purposes eg itv hub etc. I tried using it on my old account and it keeps asking for a pass. I don't understand , I use my newer box in the bedroom for catch up. 

So my question is can they possibly use the box without a pass or card  details ?

I still have some codes from a scratchcard that came with the box, would this help

Thanks in advance in these difficult times 

7 REPLIES 7
Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User It’s great that you’re thinking of your poorly friends. It’s been years since I set up my first box, but as I recall, when your friends set up their account, they will need to supply their bank card details.

Since the box is for NowTV, the account set up assumes you want to use NowTV, so asks for bank details. Even a Roku box/stick would require an account and bank details before it can be used.

None of the iplayer, Itv hub, etc require a pass from NowTV, but they will all require accounts set up for them. A bother, I know.

If your friends don’t intend to view any of the NowTv channels, you should tell them to set up a payment pin on their account when they set it up.
Don’t forget to factory reset the box when you give it to them.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Mark_Weinreb  @Anonymous User 

Hi Mark (and JJ)

I've got a slightly different idea that JJ could use to help his friends.

First, I would say that JJ does a factory reset on his box, this will take it down to it's "just bought" zero default.

Second, set up the box as if you are setting it up for yourself, this way your friends will have access to all the programs and facilities you have.

Third, and most importantly, put a secret PIN on your account, that way your friends will not be able to change or buy anything using the box you've just given them.

Your friends will have access to all the free apps and channels, but only access to the programs your passes give you access to.

Hope this helps.

UK Bob

PS. Hey Mark, my idea was based on yours, hope you don't mind.

Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ukbobboy No problem with you basing your suggestion on mine. The only potential problem with your idea is that @Anonymous User and his friends could hit is the streaming limit. But if there are only the two devices mentioned, that shouldn't be a problem for now.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Mark_Weinreb  @Anonymous User 

Hi Mark

Yeah, I thought of that but but if JJ is anything like me, i.e. 3 x black boxes, 1 x android tablet and 3 x smartphones, and never hit that two streaming only limit.

But, I guess, there will always be a possibility.

Catch ya' later.

UK Bob

Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User A couple of other thoughts; whichever of our suggestions you go with, the donated box will need to be set up on your friend’s network (unless they live next door and you have good wifi coverage, I guess). Also if you follow @ukbobboy ‘s suggestion and you have a movie pass you’ll need to share your parental pin with your friends. I don’t have a movie pass, but I’ve seen enough complaints from users forced to have one to watch even movies rated “U”.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Along similar lines to what @ukbobboy and @Mark_Weinreb have said , but try this below (though i haven't tested this myself to see if it works)

With the box that you are going to give to your poorly friends set it up in your name on your existing active account.

Then go into the NowTV App on the box you are going to give away (watch something on the NowTV pass to register the device to your account) then sign out of the NowTV App with your login details so there is no trace of your account.

Also check the Netflix App and Sky Store App there is no trace of your account details and make sure both Apps are logged out.

Then you will not sacrifice or lose the two streams on your account and your friends shouldn't have access to any of your NowTV Passes (though you would have to keep your friends box has one of the maximum 6 registered device on your account).

Also go to My Account > Devices and rename the box you are going to give away.

I am not sure if this will work because maybe NowTV requires an active account logged in on their boxes to use the Third Party App on it (i could test this myself but i am a bit lazy and would rather you try it yourself to be honest).

Then try using the NowTV App on box to see if blocks you using the App with a message saying something like you need to be signed in or buy a pass.

Also i would always recommend a payment pin on your account to avoid you or somebody else in your household accidentally buying NowTV Passes by mistake.

Then try and play something like YouTube to see if the box works.

If YouTube for example works then the next stumbling block is with Apps such has BBC iPlayer, All 4, UKTV Play etc they all now seem to require you to visit their websites to setup are free account.

I suppose you could do it remotely yourself with either your friends email address or create a new fresh email address purely for your friends catchup Apps on the box you are going to give away where a bit of trust is needed from both parties.

The next stumbling block is that the box will need to be setup on your friends wifi network by going into the box settings under Network > Set up new wifi network which needs to be in wifi range  of your friends Router or an Ethernet cable needs to be run between the NowTV box and the Router in your friends home.

The old voucher paper scratch cards passes have no relevance here, so they are not required, where my guess the vouchers have expired well past their expiry date to use the vouchers on your account where normally you have 12 months from date of purchase to activate the codes.

You could try the voucher codes on your account, though i would imagine they will pop up with an error message saying something like voucher invalid or out of date.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Many many thanks for all your great replies, plenty of food for thought. I really appreciate all you advice , great community. Stay safe everyone, cheers