cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Error code 013, can't connect to local network

We loved our first Now TV box so we bought another one for the bedroom and I now have my own Now TV account.

The first (black) box is working fine downstairs but the other one will not connect to our network despite having an Ethernet cable plugged in, we receive an error code 013.

The box acknowledges the Ethernet cable being plugged in but fails to connect to our local network.  When I tried to connect via WiFi we receive an error code 014 and a similar reason i.e: can't connect to local network.

Is this an issue because we have two Now TV boxes in the same property?

Many thanks in advance for any help provided.  We've tried a hard and soft reset of the box to no avail.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User you should be fine with two boxes, have you tried disabling pings on the box? 

You'll need to complete the following sequence, by pressing the buttons on your NOW TV box remote control in quick succession:

Home. (x5)
Fast Forward.
Play.
Rewind.
Play.
Fast Forward.

If the above is done correctly, you'll see a new screen pop up called Platform Secret Screen which will display two green bars and four further options. Please select Disable Network Pings from the list of available options.

Once you've done this, simply click back on your remote control until you reach the connection setup page, and attempt to connect to a network.

View solution in original post

109 REPLIES 109
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Evening

i have recently purchased a black box.  I have successfully connected wirelessly, but I am unable to connect via a wired connection.

My router is the bt home hub 5, and the now tv box is connected via a netgear switch.  This same switch successfully connects both my aftv, smart TV and humax box.  I have swapped cables and ports  to no avail.  All connect fine except the now tv box.

i have even tried the wireless solutions but no joy.  The connection attempt gets past the first step, but fails to connect to the local network.

any ideas.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User try disabling any smart setup features on your Home Hub.

The other option is to try disabling pings on the NOW TV box you'll need to complete the following sequence, by pressing the buttons on your NOW TV box remote control in quick succession:

Home. (x5)
Fast Forward.
Play.
Rewind.
Play.
Fast Forward.

If the above is done correctly, you'll see a new screen pop up called Platform Secret Screen which will display two green bars and four further options. Please select Disable Network Pings from the list of available options.

Once you've done this, simply click back on your remote control until you reach the connection setup page, and attempt to connect to a network.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply - much appreciated.

The smart setup was turned off already - never did like that.

I did try the Platform Secret Screen a number of times hoping it would do somehting - but alas nothing.

I decided to take the netgear switch out of the equation, just in case.  So now the ethernet goes from my data point to whichever device I plug it into..  Tested each of my devices:

• AFTV shows as wired.  Connects to server \ internet fine
  • Humax - I am still able to download recorded shows.  SO this is still working
  • NowTV - no connection possible for WIRED.  It does not get past the first section

Maybe the ethernet port is faulty on the box?

Regards

Les

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey @Anonymous User

Could you connect your NOW TV Box via WIFI for me 1st.

Then perform a software update from the settings menu.

Once the NOW TV Box reboots plug in your Ethernet and change the network setting to reflect this.

Fingers crossed it works.. if not where was your box purchased?

Andy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Andy

I did that last night.  I initially connected successfully via wifi (I did not encounter connection difficulties here like so many useres seem to, thankfully - more good luck that anything) - which kick started the software update - restart.  I signed into my account to make sure it was working - mall good.  I doubled checked just now and the box is definitely up to date.

I then tried to connect via ethernet via the switch - no luck.  Took switch away no luck.  Ethernet cable is good - brand new and other devices connect fine using it.

So i guess I will try and get a replacement box - it is only a couple of days old.

Regards

Les

Anonymous User
Not applicable

tried all the suggestions still no joy, connects to the wireless network but will not connect to the local network, tried using the button sequence but cannot even bring up the platform secret screen, Just spent 90 minutes on this and am not impressed by the now tv experience

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Sorry to hear that your having some trouble getting your box connected up to your Internet connection.

Would it be possible to let us know some more information :

Who is your Internet provider -

Are you trying to connect via WI-FI or Ethernet connection -

Have you tried changing any router settings if so can you let us know what -

Thanks

Andy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am having exactly the same problem with my new black NOW box. My imternet provider is virginmedia and I am trying wifi. I cannt use the ethernet cable as the main router is too far from the NOW box. My internet is otherwose working fine.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User you'll need to complete the following sequence, by pressing the buttons on your NOW TV box remote control in quick succession:

Home. (x5)
Fast Forward.
Play.
Rewind.
Play.
Fast Forward.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thanks, when I get to the secret screen I do not get two green bars and four options. I get one green bar and three option plus OK. I could not immediately scroll down to these options. I had to press some other key. However, network pings were already disabled. However when I did what you asked I still could not connect!

What next?