cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Come on guys, there are numerous requests on here for an app for Samsung TVs, there's really no excuse for not having one. Samsung are one of the biggest TV suppliers in the UK, surely you're missing a big market opportunity?

225 Comments
Anonymous User
Not applicable

LGTVs Don't have any problem with having NowTV app... 

Now if LGTV has the app...

Just think for a bit longer... why would LG TVs have the app.... if they wanted to force a £10 upgrade fee...

Why would PS3 and Xbox have an app if they wanted to force an upgrade fee box...

Why would Youview Boxes have the app... Instead for the upgrade box...

Answer = if samsung can't even out do all these other devices and beat LGTVs to be the first device then your view of samsung is not correct... LG must offer something samsung did not...

Well yes actualy its completely normal for LG to secure Exclusive HDTV apps first... They have constantly taken up offers of new services and technology before other brands... even if the services flop its been on LGTVs...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

My claim was based on the fact that previous posts said that they had not "yet" developed apps for smart TV's - if they have developed one for LG TVs then it would seem that they are going down that route.  However I dont see what LG, Samsung and other TV companies have to do with the production of third party apps?  The app is surely developed by Now TV and just made available to the various app stores.  Why develop an app and give it to one manufacturer - or, maybe, do Now TV expect some kind of payment from the TV company?  Subscribers pay for the service and its availablity should not depend on which smart TV you buy!   All the other streaming services seem to have been able to produce apps for Samsung TVs so why not NowTV.

I dont see any point in starting a debate about which smart TV is best - this is about NowTV and Sky.  You say LG constantly take up offers of new services but what possible motive would Samsung have in turning them down, unless they are expected to pay for them.  I would have thought it more likely that NowTV should pay to have their app hosted

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Theres a hole Forum Full of posts about the Smart TV LG app...  still no idea why you think they did not do HDTV apps.. when theres that forum.. 

All Devices are not created Equal in development of apps... each HDTV has Different Specs and requirements.

Each company will offer the developers offers to get them to build for there products...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It's not an issue with Samsung, it's because Sky have a chummy exclusive deal with LG. My understanding is that LG basically pay Sky money so they don't develope and make available a Now TV app for any other smart TV brand out there. Another case of Sky putting the buck before the customer.

This isn't even the primary issue for me. That would be the lack of proper HD for any platform bar Xbox. I mean, what were they thinking?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is the chummy deal between Sky and LG going to end any time soon and the customer's needs be put first? It would be nice to know that people who buy TVs from other manufacturers will have a Now TV app at some point, and additionally, that it will play in HD.

As well as an LG, I have a 50" Samsung I paid the best part of a grand for, yet it's somewhat ridiculous I either have to watch my soon to be cancelled Now TV account through my 14" laptop due to a lack of an app or go upstairs and watch it on my LG in my bedroom. The Samsung TV is perfectly capable of a similar app, and there is no doubt you're perfectly capable of developing one.

Please sort it out.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I would assume Sky have signed an exclusive deal with LG to make Now TV an LG Smart TV exclusive. I believe Sky have also locked up Now TV to the Xbox One (so it won't appear on the (more popular) PS4 as the only current gen console Now TV app.

Grubby deals made in smoke filled rooms, filled with corrupt and greedy old men who care only for the botton line. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yeah same thing in our house, I even have to watch it on my 7inch tescos hurl sometimes which is great, but our huge TV downstairs is wasted...come on nowtv more people will subscribe if you sort this out

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The NowTV box is only £9.99 (less if you bundle in one of the passes) works with any HD TV and is going to have the longest support.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Customers shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get content - they always take the path of least resistance to get what they want. This is partly why Netflix has been so successful - it's available on every platform.

When customers can't get what they want legally, then acquiring it illegally is as trivial now as it always has been. It really is in the interest of Sky and the content producers to pull their fingers out and get a Now TV app on every viable platform, and soon.

Also it should go without saying that with most TVs now "smart" the notion of hanging multiple boxes from the HDMI ports will become increasingly absurd.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

But the TVs aren't smart they have their own standards, content delivery paths, protected app stores and little support after 6 months when the company decided to try something different.

I'd rather have a cheap box which if it goes unsupported in 12 months I can replace with something else, instead of a £1000 Panasonic telly which can't even do 4oD.