cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Can you release an app for the Panasonic Viera connect market and other smart tvs too?

A good range of smart tv apps would dramatically enhance the useability of your service on smart tv's.

A smart app would open up a vast range on potential new users for your service, convenience is everyting in this market. 

The BBC iplayer is probably the most useful, impressive and used app on any uk  smart tv why can't you emulate this success with Now TV?

38 Comments
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

@DarylM is right, Chromecast requires a phone or tablet to cast from.  It also has iPlayer, Plex and Google Play on it, but again you need to cast from the app on the other device.

BicBasher
Elite

A Chromecast also requires two of your four Now TV device slots.   One for the smartphone and another for the Chromecast.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@BicBasher that's not necessarily true. So long as you hit the cast button on the smartphone before you start playout, it doesn't need to count as a device on your account. You can comfortably get away with Chromecast only taking up one slot (I do, and I take it everywhere with me, which helps out a heck of a lot with the four device limit).

Thanks,

Tom

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User on wrote:

@BicBasher that's not necessarily true. So long as you hit the cast button on the smartphone before you start playout, it doesn't need to count as a device on your account. You can comfortably get away with Chromecast only taking up one slot (I do, and I take it everywhere with me, which helps out a heck of a lot with the four device limit).

Thanks,

Tom

That's an interesting discovery....

DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User I hadn't thought of the advantages of being able to take a Chromecast with you to use on different screens (thus freeing up device slots).

Does this mean that you can use different tablets/smartphones to cast to the same Chromecast?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@DarylM yeah, you can use any iOS or Android device which has the NOW TV app. It's the device I use the most, as it hardly takes up any space in my laptop bag. So it comes to the office, home, friends' houses, wherever.

It's an absolute bargain at £30, and you might even find them for cheaper (I'm sure Vodafone had an offer on at some point recently).

Thanks,

Tom

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@DarylM @Anonymous User

I would imagine that the Roku screening stick is quite good in terms of flexibility as well. While it won't be as flexible as a Google Chromecast. You would be able to move the Roku screening stick between output devices  quite easily. It would be the Roku stick would be registered as a device the system wouldn't care about what the stick's connected to as long as it was HDCP compliant.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@commanda6@DarylM yeah, from memory @Anonymous User has a Roku stick. He's always seemed pretty happy with it...

Tom

DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

I am thinking of getting a Roku stick. I was wondering how it performed compared to the Now TV box (white or black).

Chromecast is of no use to me since I don't have a smartphone or tablet.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @DarylM

I think the Roku streaming stick is more powerful than the original now TV box, but it's not as powerful as the new now TV box/Roku 3

@Anonymous User @DarylM Sorry for the dictation mistake above. Can you spot it? Smiley LOL Unfortunately I can't alter it now That will teach me to leave the software in command mode. 

Actually it in command mode by default when the software starts and I don't think you can change it. When the software is in command mode it will treat anything you say in the first instance as a command. If it can't recognise as a command it will then treat it as dictation.