cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Please add a TV Catchup app to Now TV.

This is very useful for people who use the Now TV box on a telvision in a location that does not receive any digital signal,

65 Comments
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

I think the October 2016 information makes it very clear now @Anonymous User. You need a TV licence!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It says You must be covered by a TV Licence to download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand. This applies to any device and provider you use. So it does not say if you have access, it says if you use it.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Good luck using that as your defense...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Straight from their own web site

Jason-C
Community Administrator

Hi @SeeMoreDigital@Anonymous User@4268@ukbobboy

Hopefully I can help clear things up! In fact, we have a Help article for exactly this: Click Here.

To clarify, you need a TV licence if:

a) You watch Live TV on any channel.

and/or

b) You watch anything on BBC iPlayer.

If you don't watch anything live and don't use BBC iPlayer, you don't need a licence. Just having potential access to live channels or iPlayer doesn't count. It's based on actually viewing the content.

The website is already linked, but it should be clear here too: http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

Thanks,

Jason

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Jason. Exactly what I was saying

ukbobboy
Legend

@SeeMoreDigital@glostered@4268@Jason-C

Guys

Just as SMD pointed out, how can you prove that you do not use the BBC iPlayer, in other words how can you prove a negative.

Good luck trying

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I don't have to. It is up to them to prove I have.

Jason-C
Community Administrator

Hi @Anonymous User,

I will say that if you do have our lovely Smart Box, but don't have a TV licence, do be careful not to view any of the Freeview channels! It could be easy to flick over to them, and then you'll be liable to pay for one.

If you have the regular NOW TV Box, simply avoid the Live channel sections within the various passes.

And on either, you shouldn't use the BBC iPlayer app at all if you don't have a TV licence.

@ukbobboy

I can't speak for the BBC, but our viewing data is robust, so we can tell exactly what has watched and when. This should ensure that if someone were accused of watching live TV/iPlayer without a licence, the evidence to back up that claim would be very reliable.

Thanks,

Jason

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you. If you are watching BBC content then it is only right that you pay. I have a £15.00 box and use it exclusively for box sets and catch ups. 

If I buy a sky movies pack is that counted as live or streamed