cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Request for device limit functionality refinement

I think a very useful refinement to your device limit model would be that if a registered device, such as an iPad, were to cast to a Chromecast device, the casting device (iPad) would be the only one counted.  Not the Chromecast device itself.

If, on the other hand, a non-registered device were to cast to a Chromecast device, then that Chromecast device would have to be the registered device.

For this to work well each registered device would have to be explicitly set as such. Not like today that just using it once registers it. Today's model is a nuisance anyway, as it far to easy to accidentally register a device (just by Chromecasting dropping out, for example).

You can also view this as the casting device temporarily handing over its rights to the Chromecast stick, unless the stick already has its own rights.

Either this, or do something completely different with much more easily transferable rights, where the transfer would have to be local somehow.

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Many thanks for providing your feedback.

I will make sure that this gets passed onto the appropriate teams for you.

Thanks

Andy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm quitting NowTV at the end of the month due to this chromecast limitation. I've already allowed the movies pass to expire, the tv pass expires shortly. I'll stick to Netflix which has none of these issues. It's really odd that now tv claim that the issue is contractual when Netflix and Amazon show some of the same content without the same limitations. I think it's a lie. It's really just a way to ensure that sky maximise profits. Then customer satisfaction has never been a concern for sky...
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am hitting the same problem.  Chomecast does absolutely nothing on its own.  Have to use apps on tablet or phone and thus are using up 2 devices just to get a picture on the TV.  This really isn't fair and is a very silly restriction.

Will I have the same problem with AppleTV if use iPad to cast via Airplay?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I agree can you not sort this out I am on my second chromecast and now I am moving to my third chromecast.

Can you alos drop silverlight and allow us to use it in Chrome...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User @Anonymous User and @Anonymous User

Thanks for getting in touch with us. I'm sorry to hear that you've been unhappy with the Device Limit set-up.

I apologise for any inconvenience this may be causing but for the time being this will be how we handle registered devices.

Airplaying will function in much the same way.

If you need any further help, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Thanks

Rob

NOW TV Team

Legend 5
Legend 5

I suspect that the reason behind the restriction is due to fact Chromecast is not restricted. You can cast from your android device to any Chromecast provided either you have access to the network or guest mode is enabled. This means you could use multiple Chromecast devices with no restrictions. This could cause problems for Now from a licensing point of view. Total device limits are a tad low, but better than 2 on Virgin Anywhere currently.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.