cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

3G and Data usage for soccer game

Seen a couple of threads but no definitive answer. Anyone know how much data is required to watch a football match on an Android phone from Sky Sports? (maybe if someone has measured it, mention if it includes the buildup and half time etc)

Also, (might need a second thread but will see if anyone can answer here) My phone is currently "rooted". I assume this will be a problem? Is it easy enough by get around this with the usual methods or does it remain problematic, even if "un-rooted". (If the data requirements are too much this might be irrelevent) For the purpose of testing I could start one of the trials (e.g. Kids) or do different rules apply between Sky Sports and other channels? It is not a "recognised" phone/brand if that makes any difference. 

I guess finally, is a 3G signal reliable enough assuming a good signal, will be at a static address, not moving around.

It will only be a one off event!

EDIT; Maybe I can sneek a separate quick data use related question in. Does anyone have any idea if throttling is relevent with Virgin Media broadband (not talking 3G now), if you watch a few hours in a day via a now TV box, or is that way within the limits? Think I am on 100Mb speed.

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Seen a couple of threads but no definitive answer. Anyone know how much data is required to watch a football match on an Android phone from Sky Sports? (maybe if someone has measured it, mention if it includes the buildup and half time etc)

Also, (might need a second thread but will see if anyone can answer here) My phone is currently "rooted". I assume this will be a problem? Is it easy enough by get around this with the usual methods or does it remain problematic, even if "un-rooted". (If the data requirements are too much this might be irrelevent) For the purpose of testing I could start one of the trials (e.g. Kids) or do different rules apply between Sky Sports and other channels? It is not a "recognised" phone/brand if that makes any difference. 

I guess finally, is a 3G signal reliable enough assuming a good signal, will be at a static address, not moving around.

It will only be a one off event!

EDIT; Maybe I can sneek a separate quick data use related question in. Does anyone have any idea if throttling is relevent with Virgin Media broadband (not talking 3G now), if you watch a few hours in a day via a now TV box, or is that way within the limits? Think I am on 100Mb speed.

How much data?   I have unlimited broadband, so haven't measured it but I believe a 720p stream uses at most about 0.5GB/hour.  So a match would be at most 1GB (and most probably less).  And a mobile device a bit less. I suppose if you stopped watching during the advertisements you could take this down a little.

Do different rules apply between Sky Sports and other channels?  Yes http://help.nowtv.com/article/Streaming-Quality  May not impact you on android, but whereas the stream for an on demand show can be compressed quite heavily, it is likely a fast moving sports stream won't be.   So you can't properly compare.

is a 3G signal reliable enough assuming a good signal?  Maybe, try watching BBC iPlayer HD channels live.  Should be similar.

Does anyone have any idea if throttling is relevent with Virgin Media broadband? No.  Even if the 100Mbps was throttled (unlikely) the speed would still be in excess of 20Mbps.  I often have two now TV boxes simultaneoulsy streaming and IPlayer/Prime doing likewise in HD.  Never had an issue with 50Mbps which would reduce to 11.5Mbps.  You only need about 3 Mbps to get the streaming to work with Now and about 5 Mbps for HD.   So three simiultanous streams would be OK even with throttled 50Mbps.

https://my.virginmedia.com/traffic-management/traffic-management-policy-thresholds.html

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User whilst rooted you're not going to get far with the NOW TV app. Even the usual methods don't get around it.