cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Wifi not reaching whole house

Just joined NOW Broadband.  Router set up in lounge and working from home right next to router. However signal is quite poor and can't get anything in upstairs bedrooms.  So it impacts on smart tv's also.  Done the tests and it says 'all good' but it isn't an acceptable level of cover for the rest of the house.  Should I buy a wifi booster or extender?  What's the best thing to do?  I do intend to move my work place into my garage so I am expecting additional issues.  Any suggestions appreciated however I do ask simple terms as I am not very IT savvy.  Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

From experience with seeing multiple threads about the Wi-Fi coverage with the NOW router I’ve seen that it’s not particularly good. Most people have ended up purchasing a Wi-Fi booster/extender.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
RoyB
Legend

Now offers nothing beyond the rather unsatisfactory router you have.

A mesh system is a series of devices that link together to extend your WiFi to where you need it, in a rather more streamlined way than separate extenders would do.

I suggest you Google for details, using ‘mesh system’ as your search term. They come in two forms, one designed to replace the Now router, and the other designed to be run from it. You might find this latter sort more straightforward to install.

Though an altogether simpler solution may be to source a Sky SR203 router off eBay, and try it in place of the Now router. It will require zero reconfiguration, so nothing technical to master, and has a much more powerful spread of WiFi than the Now router, a more powerful spread which you may find sufficient on its own.

If you go this route, though, keep the Now router in case you have broadband problems in the future, as you will need to swap it back in before calling Now.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Jayach
Elite 3

@Sarahmc wrote:

BT has a disk for bedrooms upstairs they work great dose Now have this product available 

Have you just come from BT? Do you have the disks? And if so, what colour are they?

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

I do not recommend WiFi extenders with Now routers. These have to sit inside the rather limited range of the router WiFi, and can only extend it in a circle around themselves, which means the area already covered by the router is wasted.

Better a device like this:-

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/tplink-tlwpa7517-av1000-wifi-powerline-adapter-kit-twin-pack-10222011.html

where the signal is carried over the mains to the WiFi end, which can be anywhere you like, and doesn’t have to be in range of the router at all.

Even with a very good BT router, I could not get the WiFi to reach my home office, at the far end of the garden, but using a pair of devices like the example above, I was able to feed the signal over the mains cable from house to garden office, and have the WiFi end flood the office with WiFi.

This is what you are very likely to need for your garage requirement.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.