cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Slower than before?

Hey all 🙂 When we moved into the new house we still used the broadband of the seller for a few days... We got pretty great FTTC speeds of 70 down and 19.5 up on their Talktalk connection (wired of course). Then we chose our own provider and I went for a NOW broadband connection (as they allow for 12 months contracts - and I'm still hoping for FTTP to arrive next year). Since day one the speeds were only about 65 down at best... The sync speed keeps fluctuating after resets as well (I didn't reset it too much to trigger the DLM - but sometimes we had to turn off the power for the electrician to do some works). At the moment I'm only getting 66983 down (the max I could get was about 69000). Kinda strange I think. Do you think the fact that I didn't have time to disconnect the Talktalk modem on the NOW connection day might have made the DLM think that the line is poor? Or is it just that Talktalk is on the speed DLM setting and NOW on the standard setting? Or maybe the Sky connections in the cabinet are just more congested (seems like most of my neighbours have Sky broadband on this road). Thanks a lot!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update around 7-8 months later:

My line rate increased gradually over the past few weeks and now stabilised for a few days on 77540... Finally getting the speeds I used to get with talktalk prior to switching to NOW in August 2021 (70mbps down & 19mbps up)... Openreach came over a few times because of cutouts in January 2022... They said the copper outside the house was a bit corroded but that they fixed this... No speed improvements back then and I was stuck on around 67000 for months (real life speeds of about 63mbps down & 19mbps up)... Clearly something was wrong in the cabinet or with the copper lines in the streets... Only noticed that there was an Openreach car in our road a few days ago... Maybe Openreach finally fixed an issue that they always denied existed 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Have a nosy at this link, my guess would be to wait the week for the line to become "stable" and if its still poor give the team a call.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Setup-Performance/Half-of-the-guaranteed-speed/m-p/565237#M8679

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yeah... I've been on it for a month now... It is very reliable and doesn't suffer from cutouts - it's just about 5 mbit/s slower than what we used to get from Talktalk

redchiz1
Champion 2

The "sometimes" you switched it off may have been enough to trigger DLM into slowing things down a bit, it may recover if you leave it on 24/7 and there are no other issues with the connection. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update around 7-8 months later:

My line rate increased gradually over the past few weeks and now stabilised for a few days on 77540... Finally getting the speeds I used to get with talktalk prior to switching to NOW in August 2021 (70mbps down & 19mbps up)... Openreach came over a few times because of cutouts in January 2022... They said the copper outside the house was a bit corroded but that they fixed this... No speed improvements back then and I was stuck on around 67000 for months (real life speeds of about 63mbps down & 19mbps up)... Clearly something was wrong in the cabinet or with the copper lines in the streets... Only noticed that there was an Openreach car in our road a few days ago... Maybe Openreach finally fixed an issue that they always denied existed 

redchiz1
Champion 2

Thanks for the update, glad you manage to struggle along with only 67meg in the interim. 😉

Anonymous User
Not applicable

haha... coming from a 1gig FTTP area - I was indeed struggling 😄

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Maybe Openreach finally fixed an issue that they always denied existed 

Any Openreach problem should have effected TalkTalk the same, but glad your now getting what you expect.😀

Anonymous User
Not applicable

yeah - even weirder then... the only thing I changed recently was my setup... used an additional router for wifi before - but now using the modem's wifi... but wifi is wifi and should've always interfered if that was the reason, no? 😄

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Wi-Fi can affect your download speed, but it can't affect the sync speed.