cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MxcDxddy
Observer

Now tv stick

I recently purchased a second hand Now TV stick from a legitimate website but the remote that came with it doesn’t work. I have contacted the seller but is there any way I can set up the stick and connect it to my broadband without the remote??

5 REPLIES 5
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@MxcDxddy 

Afraid not bud, you need the remote to set up the stick. 

To save any hassle, I would request a refund and purcahse either an Amazon Fire stick or Roku stick.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Jayach
Elite 2

The Now sticks and boxes are all discontinued, in favour of apps on other devices.

If the seller won't replace it or give a refund, try getting your money back via the method you used to pay. 

Although it must have been very cheap, so possibly not worth the hassle.

SweetBlitz
Expert 3

Try the Roku Remote Control App.  If the stick is on, the app should find it and you should be able to set it up.  Not done it myself to set up, but certainly works for now tv sticks.

Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

Sorry, @SweetBlitz but in order to work, the Roku app needs to be on the same wifi network as the stick. But without a working remote, @MxcDxddy can’t get that far.

@MxcDxddy if memory serves, there should be a reset/sync button in the battery compartment on the remote. Try holding that for a few seconds with the stick connected to your tv.

RoyB
Legend

@MxcDxddy 

Do you know the camera trick? Point the remote at the camera on your smartphone, and you can see the IR signal the remote is putting out, if any, made visible. Though it doesn’t cover the RF that these remotes also output, you should at least see the IR.

NowTV Sticks themselves are ten a penny, and all the value of a secondhand one is in the remote; on eBay, and even Amazon, you will see remotes being sold for prices way above that of a new £19.99 Roku Voice Remote, which can be used as a substitute for the Now remote:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Roku-Voice-Remote-Players-TVs/dp/B09HR2YYN6/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2MBAZE014ICS7&k...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Smart-Wi-Fi-Remote-Voice-Control-Black/dp/B07RJZCJ62/ref=sr_1_17?crid=2MBAZ...

But there are some £19.99 NowTV Stick and Remote packages on eBay, so hopefully you can get a refund on the one you bought (hopefully at that price or thereabouts), and find a working one of those.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
This week, I are genrally been watching epsidoes on my Sasmung TV