I'd like to see the Apple TV4 native app offer something more in line with the current iOS offerings (which should not take too long to port to tvOs) e.g.
GUI facelift to match iOS apps
Auto Play Next Episode
Latest Releases listed on ATV home page
Longer term, an update to the codec quality and Siri search integration would be nice, but an experience akin to Netflix who provide a consistent experience accross ALL devices. As it is, I'm about ready to jump ship elsewhere due to the limitiations and inconvenience of the current app.
A guarantee that improvements to the AppleTV4 app are being worked upon within a reasonable timeframe would keep me interested and would give me confidence in recommending the platform to others.
I would echo some of the comments already posted.
Compared to other versions of the app (iOS, PS4) this needs some improvements and quickly. The missing My TV option is crazy. If I start watching a series I have to search for it every time I want to watch the next episode (the screen blacks out at the end of an episode so I need to back out to refresh the listing). What is the point of my adding programmes to My TV if I can't see them on the Apple TV?
It should also have better sections for "most popular". There is a disconnect between what I see on the iOS App in the featured section compared to the Apple TV app. how about recommendations based on what I have watched?
Under the live TV section is there a reason you cannot add the freeview channels? i.e. BBC, Channel 4 etc? This would make the app my go to choice.
I would use the PS4 app as this has better functions but the streaming quality there is awful. Most of the time it is too pixelated to be watchable!
Aside from getting the current content and features to run smoothly, there are some pretty basic functions that means NowTV lags behind competitors by a mile.
For TV Shows/Entertainment package:
1) Before 'Featured' and 'Popular' menus, more important would be a 'Continue Watching' menu. Because you rotate the order of shows in the menus so it takes far too long to find and continue series that I have already started watching. Particularly annoying when there are bugs in the search function that often prevents me from using dictation (it conducts the search but won't let me scroll through or select the results).
2) Similarly, it is essential that the app keep track of where I have reached in the series. At the moment it always returns me to Season 1 Episode 1 and I have to either memorise the episode number I'm about to watch, or read through a lot of episode descriptions, which can often be too vague to quickly find my place.
3) Not essential, but personally would like it if it automatically played the next episode. Personally a big fan of this on Netflix, but maybe others disagree.
4) A selection of recomendations based on previous viewing history, or one for 'people who watched X also enjoyed...' is pretty basic and all competitors manage to include this.
For Movies package:
1) Again, a 'continue watching' would be great for times when you don't have time to finish the film.
2) Again, recommendations based on previous films I've watched would be great.
The above is essential just to try and keep up with the competition, not to mention basic bug fixes to stop the app from crashing the whole AppleTV, the problem of programmes going to black screen at the end of episodes rather than the episode list, the faulty search function and some shows experiencing 'Permission Denied' on the Apple TV but not other apps.
Beyond this, as others have pointed out, the new AppleTV includes some good features including Siri intigration and the TV app that NowTV should really be taking advantage of. With the bugs and lack of updates its easy to get the impression that NowTV doesn't listen to or care about its customers.
One other feature I personally would love is a traditional TV Guide like I would get with Freeview or on a Sky box rather than just getting what's live and the next two programmes/films on a channel, one channel at a time. The list format on a standard Sky box works well, and its disappointing not to have it here with the caveat of, I would only want it to show channels that my packages include (ie. I am subscribed to Film and Entertainment, so wouldn't want my TV Guide showing me Sports which I'm not interested in. The biggest thing that sets NowTV apart from the competition is the live tv streaming and this would go a long way to improving the usability of the feature. I don't have my TV hooked up to an aerial and at the moment Netflix is my main content source, but if the live tv feature on NowTV was more user friendly this would be a massive advantage.
The features you're asking for are all in every Now TV app, except on the Apple TV. I just use Now TV on the PS4, as it gets regular updates and feels a world away from the 1980s MS-DOS style Apple TV app.
There are still issues of course even on the PS4, chiefly the terrible picture and sound quality. With Netflix and Amazon both on 4K HDR video with 5.1 surround sound, Now TV's massively over compressed 720p with stereo sound is rather insulting.
I honestly don't believe Now TV will ever be taken seriously by Sky until they see satellite subscriber numbers dwindle. Until then it's simply a sideline.
From what I understand...
Access and distribution of NOW TV content for playback on Apple devices is handled quite differently to all other NOW TV playback devices and platforms, as all NOW TV content has to be 'Appleized' by an Apple approved third party so it suits Apples GUI vision before being made available for streaming...
Having a third-party involved in any distribution chain can introduce problems out of source providers control