cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nst
Expert 3

Re: Update Now TV app for apple TV

interesting to see a few reporting that on demand is also 5.1.

On my testing yesterday this wasn't the case.  it was Live only.

The same content via on demand was definitely 2.0 whereas live it was 5.1.

Are things changing rapidly here?

How come this isnt a new version of the app...?  When will they announce the change?

0 Thanks
anth16
Advocate

Probably the apple box and my system but the boost is so much better than the now tv box. Really loud and surround sound really good. Better than some of the Apple TV programmes. 

0 Thanks
Hooba
Scholar 3

I'm pleased to see more people reporting seeing more 5.1 content. But it doesn't appear to be consistent e.g. for me The Hundred is aac 2 channel, 48000Hz at 50fps.

0 Thanks
nst
Expert 3

@Hooba 

For the record.. I don't believe this is intentional and is a mistake on Now's part. (also it shows them up a bit as this app is supposedly incapable of 5.1 yet now we know that's not true)

Why would they 'unlock' 5.1 on the AppleTV app and then only allow it to work for live...  or only for some content...

Surely its all or nothing.

At the moment its a dog's breakfast and rightly isn't 'official' but so weird that its happening like this.

I think that they will realise what's happening sooner or later and it will revert back to 100% 2.0 ready for the big 'or small' TAH-DAH WEVE CRACKED THE PROBLEM AND FIXED IT!! moment....

Of course we could just get an updated version of the app co-inciding with the blink-and-youll-miss-it change to the buried deep support pages where it will no longer state that 5.1 isnt supported.

Again id encourage people to ask Now via support or twitter what's going on here.  I tried and didn't get anywhere but the more that ask the more likely they are to respond.

0 Thanks
Hooba
Scholar 3

Feels more like some sort of half arsed BETA to me. Some content, on some of their streams, to some users, some of the time. NowTV uses Unicast - each stream sent to a different single recipient, so it's at least 'possible' that's what's going on. 

Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

Here’s a thought.

Now will have multiple play-out servers for each supported device in order to support various capabilities. Perhaps, some of the servers supporting the Apple TV boxes can play-out sound at 5.1, whereas others can only to 2.0. This would, in my opinion, explain why some of you can get 5.1 sound, whilst others only 2.0 for the same program.

Not having 5.1 capable equipment myself means that I cannot test this hypothesis, but I’d like to hear from anyone willing to try and test this. Note the sound (2.0 or 5.1), exit the stream and go back in. See if it changes. If it does, you’ve logged into an different  play-out server.

Hooba
Scholar 3

@Mark_Weinreb Already tried that. No dice.

As I  understand it, Now has the capability of modifying how a request for content from subscribers is treated - depending on a user's location / device / both. They are clearly sending 5.1 (at least some of the time) to some Apple TVs, but not all. Yet.

0 Thanks
nst
Expert 3

@nfrend 

Just a p.s. from earlier....

Ive tested some more tonight and its seems for me anyway its ONLY live that works in 5.1 

I specifically tried White Lotus on demand and for me its only 2.0

Nothing on demand is 5.1 so far for me.

0 Thanks
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@nst

I must say I haven’t noticed anything at all then I randomly put friends on live and the sound was considerably better through my HomePod that I have set up, fingers crossed all our nagging is finally paying of, but agree with you that a deal was struck with Amazon and we won’t have it fully till December time
0 Thanks
nst
Expert 3

@Anonymous User 

Yep this is definitely a mistake it would not be released in this way just dribbling out like this.

The most interesting thing about all this is that the app, without an update, is perfectly capable of 5.1 and I suspect always has been.

The very big question remains... why do the paying Boost subscribers with an AppleTV box have to put up with 2.0 sound when they could presumably show everything in 5.1.

Id love an official position from Now but we'll never get it.

Who knows.. maybe the super secret AppleTV disabling of boost to enable Firestick to gain traction was only an 8 month agreement rather than 12 🙂  - I seem to recall the Firestick app appeared out of thin air around Monday 14th Dec.

0 Thanks