cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Scholar 3

Re: Update Now TV app for apple TV

Quite right I much prefer the device over a built in app, everyday I’d choose that. Is there no way of finding out who’s in charge of nowtv development. We’re just sat here day to day thinking when the app will be updated, surely someone can give us an update. As I said I heard on avforums that a guy said it would be jan 2020 but how credible that is I don’t know.

Highlighted
Expert

I think thats the crux of the problem.

Visibility, communication, and updates.  Nothing from Sky/Now TV.

There must be a reason why the AppleTV platform in particular is so badly neglected.  I would suggest in this day and age an app that has gone without an update in 4 years is a rarity (unless the app or company had gone out of business).  

I would suggest that the appleTV is actually one of the more popular 3rd party solutions apart from games consoles but personally I find the idea of watching NowTV through the PS4 rather clunky using a game controller to access controls.  Why its not on the FireTV stick is a mystery - thats probably the best value for money device out there at the moment.

Although I have a perfectly working PS4 I chose to purchase the NowTV box as a stop-gap as its a better experience than the console - however I will never use any other apps on the NowTV box as they are all faster and better served on my AppleTV.

Everyone expecting / hoping for answers seems to be a bit too optimistic as they clearly aren't getting any.  Maybe we should be pestering NowTV more publicly via twitter and Facebook to ask them whats going on.

The thing with developing for AppleTV is that it is on Apple's TVOS platform which shares a great many similarities to their iOS platform, and I dont understand when they can regularly update and improve the iOS app, they dont include the TVOS app also - i imagine the same developers can work on both with very little differences between the two.

The apps themselves even now aren't really up to par with other offerings - for example im disappointed to see that if we have a show in our watchlist, that when a new episode becomes available it isn't highlighted somewhere.... at least not reliably or something I have noticed.  All it needs is a little badge on the show to indicate theres something new available - would make a world of difference.

Anyway, I digress.  

There are whisperings of an update imminently (just give us the irish version??!!) - however im surprised that they seem happy to lose an important market for all the Christmas Movies that they use as a draw to NowTV, and also all those people who would be willing to pay the extra £3 a month for the Boost add-on simply cannot yet.  Surely you need to maximise your earning potential??

January is too late for a lot of people having missed the Christmas window.

Highlighted
Scholar

A New Year brings the opportunity to look back at ones progress compared to this time last year and to look forward to the coming year ahead - and the updating of the NOW TV app on Apple TV should be no exception.

So, as far as the end user is concern:

1. Progress over the last year - NONE

2. Likely progress over the next year - NONE

So, a not so Happy New Year for all those using NOW TV app on Apple TV!

Highlighted
Expert

I'm rather amazed at the dedication you guys have to Now TV. I'm not really sure why. Why not just watch Netflix, Amazon, and Apple TV+? All have good apps with 4K Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, and plenty to watch on them. And if they're not enough you'll get Disney+ in 3 months time, also in 4K Dolby Vision/Atmos. 

I don't really see the point of Now TV anymore. The era of Sky being relevant is over. They're a dinosaur, and we all know what happened to them. 

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Scholar

For me it’s the HBO content. This is still the only real way to view them without a Sky sub. I

would even buy from Apple store but there if they were released weekly after airing, but that seems to be fairly rare for most premium shows these days. 

As soon as there is a better, legal, way to get a hold of this content I am gone. 

0 Thanks
Scholar

Yes, it is just for the HBO content. I think of NOW TV as the Tesco of the TV entertinment world. I shop at Lidl and Aldi but only ever shop at Tesco for what I can't get elsewhere.

If I were a WarnerMedia investors, I would be livid at their management's total lack of confidence in their own product in not following Disney's lead. Sky must have paid an absolute fortune for WarnerMedia content to stop their empire from colapsing.

Sky execs are still convinced they will be keeping Disney content - either they are deluded or don't understand their own market.

Highlighted
Scholar 3

My current sky sports pass ends on 8th January and seeing that the nowtv app still not updated for Apple and various other devices I have had to cancel. As soon as the app is updated to a proper app I will return. But I will not pay £33.00 a month for a product that can not be updated and hasn’t been for 4 years whilst the Ireland nowtv app has been. 

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Scholar 2

For me it is the HBO/Showtime Content and also the original production and also Sky Sports I have BT Sports now sorted for a very good price after my EE phone upgrade nice to get that and NowTV is best way get things like F1 which i love and golf and other half of football i watch from time to time.

0 Thanks
Highlighted

It’s my monthly check for any news whatsoever on the app...

Nope, thought not.

I think it’s time to cancel and find the content elsewhere.

Highlighted
Scholar 3

I read on avforums that someone said there was something happening mid January regarding the app but how reliable the source is I don’t know. I cancelled my sky sport pass couple Of days ago.

0 Thanks