cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marfanuk
Mentor

Terrible NOW TV picture quality

I'm really unimpressed with the picture quality on HD service via Apple TV box.  Its more obvious when a black picture is displayed, the image is pixelated with large grey blocks.  I know its nothing to do with my connection, its the over-compression of images to save bandwidth.  This needs fixing as its adding yet another reason to end subscription.

14 Replies
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@marfanuk 

Do you have boost?
Is the box connected via Ethernet or Wi-Fi?

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
marfanuk
Mentor

I have boost, that's why i mentioned HD.  I connect via ethernet, Netflix is fine, so is BBC and amazon.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@marfanuk 

Without boost the picture quality is 720p which is still HD, just not true HD as we know with 1080p.

Is the picture poor with live or on demand content?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @gavs82008 

What @marfanuk seems to be describing is the camouflage pattern reported by others mainly when watching Sky Sports across various NOW playback devices.

Here's one example thread linked below.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Set-top-boxes-Smart-TVs/Apple-TV-4K-issues-Strange-Camo-Effect/m-p/57... 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps 

Thanks bud, as I’m out in the dark over this issue (pun not intended) as I don’t have an active sports membership.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @gavs82008 

Some people have also noticed it on when watching live NOW Cinema and live NOW Entertainment, but the majority of the reported complaints on the Community forum seems to be live Sky Sports.

I have first hand experience of this myself.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps 

Without jinxing it I’ve somehow managed to escape this issue on the cinema and entertainment content. Is it just live streaming it happens with or can it happen with on demand too?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @gavs82008 

Mainly live Sky Sports channels for me across various playback devices.

Sometimes i can watch Sky Sports for weeks and the picture is pretty good on Boost, then all of a sudden the camouflage pattern effect rears it's ugly head again on different playback devices and different televisions in the house 😠.

I haven't noticed the camo blocking effect recently myself, though i do see reports here and over on Twitter that it is still happening.

marfanuk
Mentor

Yes, it is the same as you describe.

Have Now TV given a resin for this?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @marfanuk

You need to report what you are seeing to NOW live chat or send them a message using the communication methods in this link page below.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-complaint 

marfanuk
Mentor

@schnapps thanks I will do.  I was hoping that the customer complaints dept might have actually looking to see if there were any problems being discussed in their community.  

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @marfanuk 

The NOW Community Forum is predominantly customers helping out other customers, where depending on the issue, customers may have to contact NOW live chat where helpful forum members on here will not have the answer how to resolve it.

Javier

The quality is really bad, I paid for the boost but even with that it is a far cry from a proper Full HD. I ahve a 1Gb fiber connection si I am sure it is not that. All other streaming services look much better on the same TV.  Nowtv is really a low quality overpriced service. 

Patrickdarkfade
Advocate

Trying to watch F1 live and the picture quality is unwatchable! I'm connected via ethernet and all oher devices are working fine. Any one any suggestions! Furious!