cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tomwalters01
Occasional Poster

Re: Extremely poor picture quality

I'm sure when I looked it was 3460. This was shown in top right corner of screen unless this is something else?

0 Thanks
pethead65 Expert 5
Expert 5

Hi @tomwalters01 

Thanks for getting back to me.  That's a perfectly good bitrate you're getting & it is more than well sufficient to produce a perfect SD picture and perfectly sufficient for 720p resolution picture, if you watch NOW TV catch up content on your lg. 

It rules out that it's not a capacity problem at NOW TV's end, or anything to do with a problem at your end with the stream getting to your TV.  I realise this doesn't solve the problem, but at least it rules out several factors for you.  I hope this is of some help.

Please click on Thanks if I've helped.
I'm a Community Contributor not staff, therefore I can help with issues about the service, but not account related issues.
If it solves the problem, please mark it as an accepted solution to help other members.
Thanks!
0 Thanks
miketee
Occasional Poster

Hi,

I too am getting very poor picture quality, streaming at 300, 500 and 800 most of the time. I watched Captain America last night with a quality akin to the old videos in the 70's and the picture freezing every so often. All the Christmas viewing with family wanting to watch has been spoilt to a large degree. TV is an LG LA740V.

Nothing has changed this end and internet speeds are fine at over 9 Mbps. I've rebooted the router etc etc but this problem remains since the evening of 23rd Dec (It was fine in the afternoon). Iplayer is also fine.

I hope something can be sorted,

Mike Thomas

0 Thanks
pethead65 Expert 5
Expert 5

Hi @miketee 

Thanks for your post.  At those sort of bitrates I'm not surprised Captain America looked like watching an old 70s video.  As you're no doubt aware, NOW TV uses adaptive bitrates so it reduces the quality of the picture according to bitrate to prevent buffering and basically gives you the best picture quality it can.

This would therefore suggest a problem with the router (though you've rebooted it so that could rule that out), the connection between the TV & the router - is it wired or wi-fi (wired is definitely the preferred option), the app, or the TV firmware.  I'm sure there are other factors!

If you've not already done the following I would suggest: 

• doing a hard reset on your router, rather than just a reboot.
  • check the connection between the TV & router - if it's wi fi has anything in the room been moved or electrical items bought?
  • check the firmware/software on your lg is up to date
  • reinstall the app/ensure it's up to date

Anything I might have missed is covered in this post from @Stephen-L 

Hope this helps.

I'm a Community Contributor not staff, therefore I can help with issues about the service, but not account related issues.
If it solves the problem, please mark it as an accepted solution to help other members.
Thanks!
miketee
Occasional Poster

Hi pethead65,

Many thanks for your thorough and informative reply. 

Mine is a wireless connection and I would have suspected family over with their tablets and phones etc except that the drop in quality started before they arrived. It carried on for about another day but without doing anything I was able to watch Ride Along in decent quality and without breaks (Pity the film was not that good!)

I will double check my speed if it happens again but all other devices worked fine with a good wireless signal.

Many thanks again and I will keep your recommendation for steps to take for future reference.

Happy New Year,

miketee

0 Thanks
pethead65 Expert 5
Expert 5

@miketee 

You're welcome. 

Thanks!
0 Thanks
herojan
Regular 4

I read this thread with interest. I've just brought a 42UB820V and have the same kind of issue, but nowhere near as bad as the others.

I've been watching season 5 of Bones (I dont think this is a Bones issue), and 2 or 3 times per episode the streaming rate will drop from 3100 to 300 for a minute or two and then recover. This problem occurs when I use a wired or wireless connection, and it does not happen when I use my NowTv box to view the episode.I have a 14MB internet connection.

Surely this rules out my network or internet connection from the equation?

I watched HD content from the BBC iplayer and a HD movie from Blinkbox on the TV with no issues.

• Roku Streaming Stick+ | S/W 8.1.0 | Now TV app v3.12.132 | Wifi (DHCP)
• Internet - Plusnet Fibre @ 36M

0 Thanks
olas114
First Poster

Re: Extremely poor picture quality and changing picture size

Got to agree with the posts on here,today i purchased a sky sports day pass for the football and the picture is actually unwatchable this is on a 4k lg tv which was only bought in december, i have no problems with netflix or bbci player but be assured i will not waste my money again.

I have bt fibre optic broadband.

0 Thanks
herojan
Regular 4

Question for Now TV:

Who writes the NowTV app for the LG TVs? 

Is it NOW TV or LG?

I'd like toknow so we can raise the issue with the correct person.

There is obviously an issue but nobody wants to do anything about it.

• Roku Streaming Stick+ | S/W 8.1.0 | Now TV app v3.12.132 | Wifi (DHCP)
• Internet - Plusnet Fibre @ 36M

0 Thanks
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @dazz65 , 

Thanks for getting in touch. 

Can you please make sure the NOWTV App and the software is up to date on your TV. 

Can you please also try unplugging the TV and plug it back in again and try reconnecting to your Wifi connection. 

Please let us know how you get on. 

Kind Regards, 

Karl 

NOW TV Team

0 Thanks