Champion 4

Re: Constantly dropping picture quality

Tia2 wrote:

This seems to be a common problem with no common solutions. I don't have the facility to connect via a cable so Wifi is my only choice. ...

Hi @Tia2,

Actually, when you take into account the number of subscribers, this particular issue is not that common an issue!

Sufficed to say, if you're unable to directly connect your NOW TV playback device to your router via wired ethernet, Powerline adaptors work really well. And offer a much more stable and reliable video streaming experience.

Cheers

• If I've been helpful please press the THANKS button • If I've been really helpful please also press the ACCEPT SOLUTION button • Please note: I'm not a NOW TV employee, I'm a regular NOW TV customer, like you! •

LG TV 1 = Model no: 43UH668V | Software: 04.30.70 | OS: webOS 3.31 • LG TV 2 = Model no: 65UH770V | Software: 04.31.10 | webOS •

All TV's = NOW TV app: 2.27.0 | Post Processing Features: All disabled  • Networking Spec = ISP: Virgin Media (75Mbps) | Devices connection type: Wired | IP address type: Fixed (device permitting) •

Occasional Poster

I'm getting the same problem it only happens when watching movies. Everything else plays perfectly and it doesn't happen on my tablet phone or laptop only on my roku 1 box.  I've been using it for two years with no problems and nothing has changed.  I also run amazon prime and netflix on my roku with no problems at all

NOW TV Team (Retired)

Hi @jamiedarcy

Sorry to hear that your experiencing a dip in picture quality.

Just to see if it makes any difference can you perform a power cycle for me please.

So unplug your Roku Box, turn off your router at the mains, power your router back on, once your Internet has come back start your Roku Box back up and then see if that makes any difference to your viewing.

Let us know how you get on.

Andy

Contributor 1

Watching the jungle book on ps4 pro (wired gigabit). Connected to 80/20 business grade fttp. Speed tests always spot on 75-78, 19-20. Using ubiquiti gigabit switch and USG pro-4 firewall with cat5e/professionally installed and tested cabling. Netflix and Amazon prime working perfectly in 1080p with 5.1 sound.

So I concur with other users, seems to be issues with now TV service delivery. Based on the limited device support my guess is now TV is not allowed to get too good as it would impact sky Q....

Ironically I would happily pay more for better device support (nvidia shield/Amazon fire)and quality (1080p+/5.1) and don't want (will not get) a satellite dish.
Contributor 1

[ Edited ]

This past week I've seen numerous entertainment channels pixelated on the ethernet connected Roku 3 to the point that they are not watchable. NowTV's Sky Movies, Netflix and Amazon Prime all fine though. No issues with our fibre connection at the time it happens. I can switch over to Netflix and no picture issue, switch back to Now TV and it's still pixalated so can't be a problem this end. I restarted both the router and Roku any way but no difference. 

Any one else experiencing this lately? 

Regular 1

Blackfish wrote:

This past week I've seen numerous entertainment channels pixelated on the ethernet connected Roku 3 to the point that they are not watchable. NowTV's Sky Movies, Netflix and Amazon Prime all fine though. No issues with our fibre connection at the time it happens. I can switch over to Netflix and no picture issue, switch back to Now TV and it's still pixalated so can't be a problem this end. I restarted both the router and Roku any way but no difference. 

Any one else experiencing this lately? 

Not had any issues personally using roku and I'm on normal broadband not fibre, funny enough I had problems when I had virgin fibre it was awful after 6pm.

Highlighted
Occasional Poster

Not to add fuel to this long burning fire, but I've had the same issue with abysmal picture quality for quite some time. I have the white Now TV box and subscribe to the movies, entertainment and kids package. As with all of the other complaints, I have tried every suggested fix provided. My internet speed is more than adequate (running around 20 on average,) so while this is my first complaint about this issue I'm just about done with Now TV and have been looking for a replacement service. I would be more than happy to stay if this problem is resolved.
Contributor 5

[ Edited ]

Over the last two days I've had the same issue. Picture only keeps dropping in and out to poor quality. Not happy. Using a roku 3. All other apps etc fine just NOWTV movies.hdmi,internet etc fine.not had this in four years I think of use!

Any suggestions,I've contacted Roku support who have escalated?

Hard to watch a film now.

SS

Contributor 1

[ Edited ]

suggest people read this article

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/01/26/sky-launch-full-pay-tv-broadband-struggles-hold-satel...

makes you wonder if parent company sky are doing this themselves

that or they have not jacked up the server pipes feeding out and now thruput is at limit.

Occasional Poster

This has been an ongoing issue for years, where the servers get overloaded as the NowTV service uses the same servers as SkyGo!

They get overloaded and crash and they're weak servers because it takes next to nothing to crash them! Sky know this and yet, years later, we're still having this conversation where Sky/NowTV try and pass the buck to the customer instead of themselves!

I can stream 4K & 1080p from Netflix and i don't have a single buffering issue or loss of anything. Same device, using SkyGo, and i get constant drop out, loss of resolution to what looks like someone hung a net curtain over my screen, the quality becomes so poor, and then buffering again!

It is Sky, entirely Sky and Sky know this!