cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

USB/SD DISABLED NOT A HAPPY BUNNY

Heard about the new box on several internet sites and mentioning new USB features, went to Now TV yesterday and they have spec listing as follows so thought I'd upgrade my white box

USB media formats:
Video: MP4 (H.264), MKV (H.264)
Audio: AAC, MP3
Image: JPG, PNG
Remote:
Infra Red
Compatible with various universal remotes
Ports:
HDMI (cable included), Ethernet, microSD card slot, USB

NOWHERE does it say that that this hardware is disabled unless you scroll through the help section which given the simplicity of set-up owning one already I saw no reason to do:

Micro SD & USB

You’re currently unable to connect the NOW TV Box to a Micro SD card, or other expandable media storage devices.

It might be subsidised pricewise expected that given it's closed channel list compared to a standard Roku but the lack of openess regarding this is pretty poor!

177 REPLIES 177
Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User I posted this link a few days ago for someone else. It tells you how to side-load the usb media player app, and has a link to the app at the end of the article. Hope it helps, have fun.

http://www.waxedperfection.co.uk/now-tv-usb-working-hd-box

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Many thanks, so frustrating that Now Tv couldn't include this as stock. Nevermind. Many thanks to all who contributed to this thread and thanks Mark, I'll give it a try. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

'The microSD slot, along with a USB port on the right of the device, can be used to play back video files (in MP4 or MKV format), music files (in AAC, MP3 or WMA format), or to view JPEG, PNG or GIF images.'

Direct quote... Most other review sites state the same.... 

What is going on here? 

Legend 5
Legend 5
@Anonymous User Now won't work with your android box at this time. However that may change.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Legend 5
Legend 5
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/av-accessories/now-tv-smart-box-1324139/review @SeeMoreDigital makes you wonder if they actually test devices.....
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@4268 wrote:
@SeeMoreDigital makes you wonder if they actually test devices.....

I'm quite sure they don't. Not thoroughly anyway!

In this instance they've looked at the ports and connections on offer and assumed they were supported. I wonder how many of these 'trusted' reviewers made the same error with the NOW TV 'black' box?

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @SeeMoreDigital @4268 @Mark_Weinreb

Hi JB

As you now know, the USB and SD ports have never been activated by NowTV on any of their boxes and you are not the only one to be deceived by erroneous reporting by both amateur and professional journalist who have assumed, without any form of testing, that these ports work.

And you know what I think is worse, that these journalist do not bother to correct their reports once it has been published.

However, there might be some hope because I have put in a suggestion, in the Ideas Section of this forum, to have the USB port activated by adding the Roku Media Player to the App Store. I understand that once the RMP is installed on a NowTV box it will activate the USB port by default.

Still, for USB port activation to happen the suggestion requires forum members to vote for it, so bounce on over to the following URL and show your support:

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Ideas-for-NOW-TV/Allow-Roku-Media-Player-to-be-installed-on-the-NowTV-boxes/idi-p/415018

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

They have now fully removed the ability to side load an app to allow you to use the USB port which they should have enabled in the first place, as theu put it there, this basically renders the whole unit useless. Do not purchase, does not do what it says on the box! So disappointed in this thing, con. An unavoidable update from mid 2017 will render your unit useless on first use. Nice.