cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Setting up old now tv box

Hi, sorry if this is posted in the wrong place but only just joined the forum

we have an old now tv box but can’t connect it to our sharp tv.

It connects to the internet, the now tv animation comes up then the screen goes black and the remote won’t do anything.

is it because it’s an old box, do we need a new stick. We tried resetting the box but it didn’t help.

Ive taken out the seven day trial but don’t know whether to cancel or not.

Would appreciate any help, but I’m a bit technophobic.

thanks to anyone who can offer advice.

5 REPLIES 5
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Have you tried a full factory reset on the box, by pushing and holding a small pin in the small reset hole on the back of the box for about 30 seconds whilst the box is powered on and the television is set to the correct HDMI input source number.

If you have the newer Freeview Smart box, there should be a small reset button underneath the bottom of the box to push in for 20 to 30 seconds.

Should that not help, i would try a different HDMI port and HDMI cable (if you have a spare one lying around the home) on your television with the box.

If that doesn't work, try temporary setting up the box on another television in the home (if you own a second television again doing a factory reset on the box) before swapping back to your Sharp TV.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank  you Schnapps, we have tried the reset and using a different port. We are using the little black square now tv box, it is several years old, we thought that may be the problem. The tv has Freeview built in so we don’t use a freeview box.

i don’t really want to buy a new now stick, we don’t have another tv to try it on.

we wanted to get the now going again because sky is costing so much and we watch Discovery and History a lot which we can’t get on freeview,

thank you so much for your help though.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

If you get the three green ticks to say that the nowtv box has connected to your Router successfully, then the television screen goes blank.

Then it sounds to me there is a HDMI conflict somewhere between the nowtv box and your Sharp TV.

It's a shame you haven't got another television to test the nowtv box out on or could test the box on a family members / friends television set.

The only thing i would try myself, is go into the Sharp TV menu settings and under HDMI CEC or HDMI Enhancement play around with the settings to see if a constant picture displays on your Sharp television screen when on the correct HDMI port connected to your nowtv box.

Also, if you are using an external HDMI switch box, bypass it and plug the nowtv box directly into the television HDMI port.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User  @schnapps 

Hi Susieque

I guess you are talking about the 2015 Black Now TV box below:

Now TV Box (New 2015).jpg

If in daily or weekly use, this box should still be in good working order, however if stuck in a cupboard or drawer for more than 6 months then it might have gone wrong.

You see, small electrical devices if not used for a certain amount of time have a tendency to fail.  So you may not have any other choice but to get yourself a Now TV stick, as the cheapest option but it will also have some free pre-installed vouchers as part of the package.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Ukbobboy,

thanks for your reply.

i have a chrome cast gismo. I plugged that in, downloaded the now app onto my iPad and found I can cast from the iPad to the tv. It’s working really well and I can still use my iPad as usual. I think you are right, the box has been left too long.

I’ll get the full the subscription at the end of the seven day trial.

thanks to all of you for your help.

great forum