cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Legend

Scam Phone Calls are doing the rounds again

Dear Forum Members

Due to Corona and most people staying indoors, the phone scammers are back and doing the rounds.

It's obvious that this pandemic has given the scum bags fertile ground to try and sow their lies and cons, so don't fall for those pre-recorded messages, those friendly foreign accents claiming to be George or Amber from BT or any other unexpected phone call, don't say anything just put the phone down.

Keep yourself and your finances save and just put the phone down.

UK Bob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Interesting.

We haven’t used the landline for a couple of years now - note even got the handset plugged in!

Tip: If you’ve got caller display enabled, put all the numbers of your family, friends, organisations etc into the phone’s contact list and then don’t answer calls from unrecognised numbers. If it’s important, they’ll call you back (or leave a message if you have an answerphone or voicemail - only genuine unknown callers tend to do that, and of course it gives you comtrol over choosing whether or not to call them back).

Rary rarely get unsolicited calls on the mobile, but did get one today from 0708 022 2325 (probably a spoofed number but blocked it anyway). A recorded voice speaking mandarin but punctuated with the odd English word like “corona”!

”Stay safe”...

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Getting this regularly.  WFH, I'm busy enough but struggling with less than published speeds on my bradband.  Alarm bells rang when a guy called from 'Sky technical team' and suggested he would walk me through something and then asked me to download and install a piece of software.  As soon as I said there is no way I would install software from an unknown vendor, he hung up.  

I ignore the landline most of the time, but it seems every time I pick up at the minute it's to do with 'fixing' my broadband.  If only it was the actual tech team making the speeds better!!

ukbobboy
Legend

Hey People

Just remember, it's easier for these scum bags to try and hustle you out of your money than do an honest job of work.

You know, because these bags of human waste have proliferated so much it actually means that there are a lot of vulnerable and gullible people out there ripe and ready to be exploited.

Just be safe and don't respond to unexpected calls of (supposed) help.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi just got a call from number 06877935304 saying my BroadBand is being cut off in 24 hours and asked me to press a number. I put the phone down. Is this a scam call? Please help I'm really worried 😔

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sorry meant to add that I am a mentally vulnerable person.

Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User yes it's a scam call and you did the right thing by hanging up.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Saint1976  @Anonymous User 

Guys

Scammers are people without conscience, empathy or any shred of human decency, they troll the world searching for vulnerable and gullible people to extract money from.  And unfortunately, the modern technology we depend on makes it possible for these people to set up international boiler room (illegal) companies dedicated 24/7 to stealing, conning, scamming or tricking people out of their money.

To stay safe, when we get one or many of these phone calls, is to ignore them by putting the phone down. They eventually get fed up and move on to other potential victims.  This is sad but true because there is no protection available from the authorities and so you have to protect yourself.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

hi there just had a call saying because of illegal activity on my account they are shutting my services down,all said by an auto bot then line goes dead,for a split second i panicked thinking oh dear no internet then laughed about it!!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I just received a scam phone call 01392252737 saying they were from open reach. She said internet was playing up on there server. And needed to download app. Put the phone down after that.