cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Saint1976
Elite 3

New Now app discussion thread

The new app on Roku has been live for about 24 hours so a chance for users to give some feedback, hints and tips or highlight things that aren't obvious.

Positives for me;

Navigating the app is much quicker and the remote seems more responsive.

The time bar/search is superior to previous efforts. Click right to skip 10 seconds or hold down to the right and the timer slides showing progress in minutes.

Subtitles on live TV including live sports broadcasts.

Subtitle text size can be changed in Roku system settings.

Auto play next episode now active although I'd like a way to switch it on or off.

Negatives

Some of the text is way too small.

Can't change live channels without exiting the current stream and returning to TV guide. A big no no from me!

TV guide on the top row of tabs should be next to Home making access quicker.

Still can't skip promos at the start of on demand content but for some strange reason there's the option to pause.

A question - on live sports broadcasts there is a greyed out "go live" icon. Does that mean we are going to get the option for in broadcast replays of key moments? Or is that purely for the pause live broadcast function? If it's the latter, it doesn't work. I tested by pausing for 2 minutes, pressed play and the "go live" is still greyed out.

38 REPLIES 38
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Also if you go into the dedicated Kids section (not through the main live TV Guide) I can only see 5 live kids channels from the "On Now" horizontal cross rail.

Where Nicktoons and Cartoonito is missing.

Anybody else notice the same ?

KBZ
Scholar

Does anyone know who is inserting adverts for other streamers (e.g. Netflix, iPlayer) into the carousel, Now or Roku?  It's a bit odd to encourage you to leave the app.

Generally finding the new interface an improvement.  I like how the new menu is transparent because it always required loads of faffing about clearing it if you wanted to catch the subtitles you had just switched on.  And heaven help you if you clicked "back" to late and it took you out of the programme!

I'm finding that the rewind/fast forward is too fast although you can go back or forwards with more fine control with "left" and "right".

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

When navigating around the NOW content picture thumb nails on the grid rows if there is a TV show or movie for example you want to add to your Watchlist press the star button, then OK button on the remote to add quickly to your Watchlist or if already on your Watchlist and want to remove it, press the star button and OK button on the remote to quickly remove it.

Simon-J
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Saint1976 @schnapps @petecc @KBZ @tothbros 

Hi all,

Some good news update you with, channel changing (a much cleaner, visually appealing version) will be re-introduced in a future update and the current method is temporary.

Thanks

Simon

petecc
Scholar 2

Hi @Simon-J,

Okay, that sounds good but are you going to fix the Watchlist sync problems too? It's all very well to make the user interface better but the core functionality is far more important.

Simon-J
Community Manager
Community Manager

@petecc This has been reported so teams are aware. I'll let you know what happens. 

Thanks

Simon

petecc
Scholar 2

@Simon-JThanks, much appreciated.

petecc
Scholar 2

@Simon-J wrote:

@petecc This has been reported so teams are aware. I'll let you know what happens. 

Thanks

Simon

@Simon-J, I see there has still been no progress on this. I'm a professional chartered engineer who has been writing code for decades and I'm sorry to say that this is pure coding incompetence. There are a few principles that one should never, ever violate, one of which is that you never keep the same information in more than one place (except on a very temporary basis). Not following this principle is just begging for bugs like this. No matter what platform I'm using, there should be exactly one copy of my Watchlist that is always fetched from the same database. It should be literally impossible for there to be two Watchlists associated with my account. Who is writing your code? Amateurs? Raw graduates with no experienced supervision?

I use a fair number of streaming apps and I trust them all to keep track of what I'm watching and where I've got to. For NOW, I have to keep a separate record myself because NOW have messed it up multiple times in the few months I've been subscribing.

Sorry if I sound brutal, but this is actually sound professional advice that I'd normally charge a lot of money for...

Pete

tothbros
Scholar 2

is it now possible to sign in to NOW using my roku account? when i had to sign in to the new NOW app, it offered to use my roku email, but i used my own existing now acc., was just wondering...

RoyB
Legend

@petecc 

Have you worked on massively distributed systems, though? While it’s certainly ideal to keep certain information in one place, this can cause a bottleneck that would strangle such a system.

So you proliferate it. Yes, the synchronisation of the various copies has to be carefully managed; but if you try and work off one central copy you create a pinch point you can’t manage. To say nothing of a SPOF.

Of course, this is hardly something that would apply to a single user data point like their watchlist; but even here, are you sure this is a duplication issue? Last time, there was only one Watchlist per person, but people were getting each others’ 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.