cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Faulty remote?

I purchased a now tv stick a few months ago online and now the remote has developed a faulty it's making a whining noise and does not function at all has anyone else had this ? Also would I get a replacement or if I bought another would it work? 

Thanks 

6 REPLIES 6
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

That sounds weird with regards to the noise your remote is making.

I would try fresh batteries and re pair the remote again with the stick (see help guide linked below on how to re pair the smart remote with the stick).

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-pair-your-smart-remote

Should you still be having problems with the remote, then take / send the nowtv stick back to the retailer that you bought it from and ask for a replacement stick with new remote controller.

In the short term if you have a smartphone or tablet then you could download from your phone or tablet Apps Store the free Roku Remote Control App to use on your stick until you get a replacement sorted.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have this same issue. Fresh batteries will resolve it for about a day by then are drained! Must be a fault with the remote. Now Tv have refused to replace mine and honour the warranty and I don’t have the receipt. I have had it less than a week! 

RoyB
Legend

Open the battery compartment, and press the black button at bottom right to reset the remote. Give it a good long press.

Does this fix it?

If not, take the batteries out, and see if the noise stops. It should. 

Wait two minutes, then reinstall the batteries.

If the whining recommences, try new batteries and see if these cure it.

if none of these things work, come back for more advice.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
I have an electrical engineering background and have tried all that has been suggested. New batteries seems to remedy the issue temporarily but it soon begins to make a high frequency squeal and drains the batteries.
RoyB
Legend

I had a Sony TV remote once, with a new TV. Put the batteries in, put it down, fettled the actual TV, picked the remote up - and dropped it like a hot potato, as it felt like one.

Had to use oven gloves to take the batteries out, smartish. The dealer replaced it straight away, and all was well after that.

But I see you got yours online, so you may not want to send the package back and be without it for a while. But if you have a Curry’s or an Argos handy, you can pick up a new Stick for £15, a net £5 considering the voucher included, and use that, while sending the original back for a refund or replacement. And tell them to make sure a young person there looks at the faulty remote since, dependent on how high-pitched the whine is, older ears may not be able to hear it.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Interesting....My remote was doing the same thing...Ended up tge batteries were venting...Replaced on 2 occasions and both times the batteries actually 'popped' inside the remote!!!!