cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Chromebook compatability

Good Afternoon,

I have a Chromebook and would really like to be able to watch NowTV on this but it doesn't work. Searching older posts would suggest this is something to do with NowTV using Microsoft Silverlight which is not compatable with Chromebooks.

Could I check if this is still the case and if so can anything be done to rectify this? I appreciate that if it's a bigger Microsoft issue then it's unlikely that NowTV would have much room to manouver. However, could NowTv use a different delivery method that doesn't rely on Silverlight?

I can use every other streaming service on my Chromebook except NowTv so it would be great if NowTv could be included too!

Many thanks!

13 REPLIES 13
dna
Advocate

Ok, the thing I really don't understand is that now that Chrome OS is at Android 11 in general, why can't I used the Android NOW app on my Chromebook. It is clearly blocked but if you can use the App on an Android tablet, why single out Chromebooks as not being allowed to use the app? It makes little sense to me. All the other streaming apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime, BBC iPlayer work without issue on the Android app sitting on top of Chrome OS....

RoyB
Legend

@dna 

Recently, Now has made their software run entirely in the browser, and the Windows and Mac apps are no longer necessary or functional.

There are wildly differing stories as to whether this now means it is possible to run Now in the browser on Chromebooks and Linux devices.

Can you try loading Now in the browser on your Chromebook, and seeing if it works?

(Note: One thing I’m finding at the moment is that the Now Community no longer links into Now streaming, so make sure you have only NowTV.com in your search bar, not a link to the Community)

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Scruff1977
Advocate

I use a Chromebook myself and found it annoying that I couldn't few NowTV on it, I watch stuff of my Chromebook when over ruled for viewing on the Living Room TV!

I have been able to cast NowTV from my Samsung phone to my Chromebook and bought a 2nd Hand NowTV Stick for non-smart TVs at Home.

Seems daft that Chromebook won't support it - I occasionally use my old Windows Vista Dell Laptop for watching!

RoyB
Legend

@Scruff1977 

See my posting above yours.

Now that Now on laptops and desktops, both Windows and Mac, is entirely browser-based, and there is no app to download any more, what actually happens if you open the browser on your Chromebook, load the Now webpage and try to watch something?

If it still fails, though, you may be able to get it to work by changing the UserAgent on your browser, so Now think they are talking to something else. Pretending to be Chrome on a Windows laptop would be a good thing to try.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/trick-websites-changing-user-agent-chrome/

Not that I’ve done this myself, but it would be interesting to learn if this can be made to work, from someone motivated to try it 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.