cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is the Now TV Box a freeview box?

Silly question I’m sure, but can I watch all free to air channels on a Now Tv Box? I see Argos have them for £12.50 and i work night shifts from home and my office has no where for aerial access so I’m reliant on a WiFi connection. Now streaming via Kodi is on its way out I’m wondering if this is the next best cheapest solution? Cheers all
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Exactly the answer I was looking for. Super stuff.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum. The ones they are selling for£12.50 are not Freeview boxes, they rely on a wifi connection and you only get access to ITV hub, BBc iPlayer, All4 and Demand5 and Box+ (music channels) as far as free-to-air channel content is concerned. You'll get live channels on BBC and ITV but not 4 or 5. Otherwise the box includes apps such as NOW TV, YouTube, SkyStore etc but not Netflix or Amazon.

The more expensive Smart NOW TV BOx is a Freeview box but this requires an aerial connection.

Possibly you might find something like a Roku Express more to your needs. Roku's include all the apps a NOW TV box has including NOW TV app, and also include a wider range of apps such as Netflix, Amazon and TV Player which will let you watch a range of free-to-air channels.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Not anymore... used this info and purchased a £50 4K smart box from Argos... no aerial input... not free view😞

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

The only branded nowtv product that supports over the air teresterial Freeview channels via a TV aerial is the discontinued NowTV smart box generation one (like shown in the picture below).

Smart_Box_main.png

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

With the NowTV standard black box which Argos are currently selling for £12.50 you will not get all the Freeview channels via a TV aerial with the NowTV Smart box.

The standard NowTV black box does have the 4 main catch up Apps from BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4 and Demand 5 which you can use together with the NowTV passes by means of an internet connection.

Here's some further information about both type of NowTV boxes.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-a-now-tv-box

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Exactly the answer I was looking for. Super stuff.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is itv/ bbc free ? Thanks 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Have a read of this

https://help.nowtv.com/article/do-i-need-a-tv-licence-to-watch-now-tv 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks 

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User you might be better going for Roku device and using TVPlayer for most live Freeview channels. You will be able to get Now on it too.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.