cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Internet Connection

Right, I have just purchased a NowTv Smart Box. Everything was fine, the set up ran smoothly and I set up the account with no problems. I connected the box to my router with an ethernet cable.
We were watching a program thro catch up when the picture went off and a red banner popped up "Internet connection has been lost" no sooner had the red banner appeared when a green banner popped up with "Internet connection is back". We went back into the programme, found our place (it had chucked us back to the beginning of the programme) and continued to watch. Approximately 3 minuted later, the same thing happened and continued to do so for the duration of the programme - most annoying!! We've had no issues with our router and to our knowledge, the signal has been a constant one serving our phones, laptop, tablet and when we had it Sky On Demand. Its Virgin and we get speeds of around 50 Mbps. I've Googled the issue but can't seem to find anything. The most annoying thing is it dropping the signal for literally a split second (The red banner hardly has time to display before the green banner appears) but in doing so, it takes you out of whatever it is you are watching!!
I thought I would try a wireless connection, but this wouldn't even connect to the Local Network, it just failed and gave me a 014.50 error message.
Surely this is a faulty box, or does anyone else experience this and just "put up" with it 🤔
66 REPLIES 66
Anonymous User
Not applicable

You need to access the router via a browser - your "address" and password will be on the bottom of the router. I think you then go into advance settings and then set up guest account - you can then create a network key and password and then log in as you would to connect any device.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

thank you. guest WiFi set up. Will send it this works

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Seems to be working. Thank you for the advice.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, I've just started having the same issues ref internet dropping off. Could you give me step by step guide how to set up guest wifi please? Do I do this on the now tv app as I've gone into settings and can't see how to do it.

Many thanks

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Welcome to the forum. You set the guest network up on your Hub and then connect the NOW TV box to the guest network instead of the normal wifi network. See here for details

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/200300000001000/article/HELP-2915/Setting-up-a-guest-network-on-your-Virgin-Media-Hub

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

I am not a Virgin broadband customer myself, but try this help guide below from Virgin on how to set up a guest network on their hub routers.

If you click on the picture of which version hub router you own, then a help instruction guide should pop up on screen.

You need to setup the guest network on your Virgin Router and once you have set it up, you need to go into the nowtv box menu settings under network > set up connection > wireless > then select the new guest network you have added and enter the password you provided when setting up the guest network option on your router.

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/200300000001000/article/HELP-2915/Setting-up-a-guest-network-on-your-Virgin-Media-Hub?query=Guest%20network

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Great 👍
It's a shame NowTV aren't offering any advice or releasing a software update for a problem that clearly exists between them and Virgin 🤔
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you for posting this. We have Virgin media and had no problems with internet connection until a couple of weeks ago. Couldn't work out what triggered it, but suddenly couldn’t watch any movies nor NOW TV channels, but the internet was fine on any other device, including the TV itself. All I could find were discussions about WiFi dropping out, but we have a wired set up. Like others, the connection kept dropping out then reconnecting and the WiFi wouldn’t set up. I have even bought new ethernet cables and completed a factory re-set and nothing was working. The suggestion to use a guest wifi, and advice on how to do it, have worked brilliantly, thank you!
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Glad I could help 👍
Anonymous User
Not applicable

New home and just swapped to virgin media 20/12/2019 , exact issue you had at the start of the thread

Unbelievable now tv or virgin still haven't sorted this

tyvm for the guest network solution, it's been driving me mad  dropping connection every 15 mins