cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Freeview and NOW TV Smart Box Interference

We had freeview running through my Samsung DTV and i get about 130 channels, I then went to setup the NOW TV Smart Box and plugged the coax in to the Smart Box but only got about 12 channels, I have tried retuning a few times and nothing more comes up.

I decided that I would setup the Freeview through the TV as before and just use the Smart box as a different source for NOW TV Services. Now when the Smart Box is plugged in, its causing my freeview signal to degrade and stop the Freeview from being watchable.

I have now turned the Smart Box off and will only be able to use when I feel like using NOW TV services, as if its on at any other times it ruins the Freeview and will not pick up the channels if plugged in to the Smart Box.

Does anyone have any ideas?

18 REPLIES 18
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

I would double check on the website linked below that there is no planned maintenance work or there is a weak signal issue currently from your local TV transmitter.

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/operations/planned_engineering_works

Also, if there is no reports of the TV Transmitter or Relay issues in your region, then maybe try factory resetting the NowTV Smart box and setup the box again from scratch by going into the box menu settings.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks @schnapps

Unfortunetaly I don't believe there is a problem with the signal issue in the area, as I mentioned the signal is great and 137 channels received on the Freeview through the TV. Only when the Smart box is connected and powered up do I get the problems, so I believe I am getting interference from that for some reason.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Are you plugging the main TV aerial directly into the NowTV Smart box or is the incoming TV aerial signal shared between the TV inbuilt tuner and the smart box ?

I would still try a factory reset on the smart box and then re scan the TV channels again.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps

Yes main TV aerial socket on the wall with coax cable straight to the NOW TV Smart Box. The Smart box is then connected to the TV via HDMI.

I will try a factory reset but there is definetely some sort of interference, as all is ok if I take the coax to the TV direct and have no power to the NOW TV box.

This is a new install too, so not been OK and just started.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

There is always a remote possibility that the inbuilt Freeview tuner on the smart box is defective.

If you get no joy with the similar amount of TV & Radio channels compared to your TV inbuilt tuner, could you take the smart box to a friends or family members house who lives close to you who have a digital TV aerial, just to test the box out.

Obviously the above may not be practical under your circumstances and if this is the case and if nobody else comes up with any suggestions, then take the box back to the Retailer and see if the replacement smart box gives you better results when scanning for the Freeview channels. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

ever since i had smart stick now tv  my other televisons that use an arial in to the wall and freeview channels are hardly watchable.

It drives me mad.

Why is this?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

ive got the same issue since using the smart stick for now tv.  it messes up my other televisisons and can hardly watch my freeview channels as the signal is so bad.

very annoying

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi,

I no longer use Now TV. I have BT and a Firestick.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Have you tried moving the smart stick onto a different HDMI and USB port i.e the most furthest ports away from your television TV aerial socket.

Also keep the stick power cable either to the usb port on your TV or the supplied adpator away from your aerial wiring.

If you have a HDMI extender flylead lying around in the house, maybe give that a try also on the stick to see if it makes any difference.

Also if you have a second TV in the house does the smart stick cause interference to the second TV  Freeview tuner ?