cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update has broken composite video

Title says it all the latest update which has removed the sideloading feature has also broken the composite video out feature. Well it works, but now the colours are flickering in and out making it unwatchable for anything. Not cool, not cool at all.

25 REPLIES 25
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Out of interest @Anonymous User,

Is there any particular reason why you are using the 'composite' video output connection and not the HDMI output connection?

What make and model of device do you have connected to the 'composite' video output connection?

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

What a stupidly dumb question to ask. I am using the composite video out which worked just fine prior to the update because the TV which it is connected to does not have an HDMI in being an older CRT Sony model. Yes the TV is old but it works just fine, and as a secondary TV it is hard to justify replacing just because it does not have an HDMI in and/or is a CRT.

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User I quite agree on not changing something just because it's not the latest technology. If it ain't broke don't spend your money.
With regards to your issue, it is possible to buy hdmi to CRT adapters​. Which may give you the freedom not to be stuck with just the white box. It may be a while before any fix comes out particularly as the issue affects the white box they no longer sell. @Simon-J can you flag this to your technical team.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Done a bit more experimenting. I real Roku 2XS with the 7.5 firmware on this TV works just fine. The white box starts up fine but during the boot process goes all horribly wrong and the display goes to pot. Given the box worked just fine prior to the update, and still works fine with a real Roku 2XS which is basically the same as the white NowTV box with the addition of an Ethernet port, we can safely conclude that the problem is the firmware.

I have a feeling that this is all Macrovision related,which would tie in with the removal of sideloading on "security" and "anti-piracy" grounds. At least it is the only thing I can think of that would make the colours on an analog TV signal go wonky. I could in theory test that, but that would require me to make a suitable lead up and digging my old Macrovision stripper from the loft, and I am not inclined to do that because it would cost me money, and I don't see why I should be spending money to sort out a mess created by other people.

Regardless I was sold a box that would work with a TV without an HDMI socket via the addition of a lead that Sky/NowTV sold me. That some idiot at Sky/NowTV decided to push an update without out doing adequate regression/unit testing is not my problem, and the fact that they are not being sold anymore is completely immaterial. I work in IT, this is really basic stuff, and a monumental screwup by those doing the release engineering. I hope come Monday morning they are dragged in front of management and given a good .

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Just-so-you-know @Anonymous User,

The latest update implemented a 50Hz (PAL) video output mode across all NOW TV branded devices, instead of the original 60Hz (NTSC) video output mode, which your Roku will still be using

Has your Sony TV been set to it's 'auto' colour system/standard detect mode. Or is it fixed in NTSC mode?

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Really asking me if I have I got the TV fixed in NTSC mode takes the biscuit. You don't think that someone who has a Macrovision stripper (and for the record mine is handmade etched the PCB, and soldered it up myself), and talks about making leads up to use it might just be clued up for crying out load?

For the record the TV does autodetection for NTSC, so nothing I can do. Despite which it is only the COLOUR that has gone, so if it was stuck in 60Hz it would not display anything. I have also tried other SCART inputs on the box too. Also for the record the lead from the NowTV is a standard Sky one with the phono plugs cut off and a SCART plug soldered on because soldering 4 pole 3.5mm jacks is a pain.

chai
Scholar 3

Out of interest I dug out my white box , allowed it to upgrade, connected it to a LG CRT, and the picture is the same as always.

So this incompatability between box and TV appears to be device specific, which unfortunately will probably make it harder to resolve.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Jeez you're rude....

If you have a tech background you should be well aware that the answers you receive are only as good as the information you provide. And since you provided no detailed information, you received the response you got!

Sufficed to say, none of us here are mind readers, we don't know what your device set-up or your skills set is. And you don't know ours (or mine) either!

How does that saying go? "Assumption is the mother of all..."

Good luck to you!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

SeeMoreDigital

Frankly, I think he made some reasonable comments.

All you ever seem capable of doing is sucking up to NOWTV, giving condescending advice or telling everyone else that they are at fault!

If a NOWTV update has rendered the AV cable unusable (and I've read this now in several places) then that is unforgiveable. AV composite output was an advertised feature of the white NOWTV box and removing that though a software update has a taste of the Microsoft Windows 10 update debacle. I'm sure that you will tell us otherwise though..

Had you ever actually stopped to consider why so many people are "Rude" to you!?