cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Box not turning on

Hi,
My now tv box all of a sudden decided that it doesn't want to turn on anymore. Dose anyone know why this is and what I can do to fix it, or do I need a hole new box??
11 REPLIES 11
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Any white light showing on the front of the box when it's powered on ?

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @schnapps

You know Q

The white boxes have reached the end of their life cycle and they will start to die off and/or exhibit some strange behaviour before they finally "give up the ghost".

You could try a few test, like checking if it's the box or your TV is at fault by trying another HDMI port, if you have another one on your TV.  But I don't think it's worth the bother at this stage of the "whte boxes" game.

Unfortunately, this could be the wrong time to start looking for electricals to buy because prices start to creep up in the run up to Christmas.  However, if you are lucky you may still get a new Now TV black box at a bargin price.

Anyway, good luck.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

My now tv stick has no white light. I’ve turned the WiFi off and tried to reset it but it doesn’t work please can someone help 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Are you using the supplied power adapter with your NowTV Stick or using power from the USB port on your television ?

Would you have a USB charger rated 1A or higher lying around the home (USB chargers are quite common and are provided with some smartphone, tablets and other streaming devices).

If you have a spare USB charger, try that with the Stick and if you have another USB Standard to USB micro cable spare, then try the spare cable as well.

Also i am assuming whilst the TV and Stick was left powered on you tried pressing and holding in the small reset button on the Stick for 15 seconds to see if the white light comes back into life after a factory reset ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I was hoping I didn't have to buy a new box
Thank you anyway looks like that's my only option iv tried everything else.

Thanks for your help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps there's no light at all.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

If there is no white light either on or flashing on the front of the box, then this would suggest to me that the nowtv box has given up the ghost and could have developed an inherent fault.

You could double check that the power cable is plugged correctly into the box and maybe try a factory reset by pushing a pin in the reset hole on the back of the box for about 30 seconds, but my guess is the white box is now defective and like @ukbobboy mentioned you might have to invest in a replacement device.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have come across several boxes that do this and go into a continuous loop. It's built in obsolescence. These boxes are not faulty - they have effectively been disabled. This is really bad practice and I'm not impressed. All of the hidden menu items still work and there's no reason why the apps shouldn't work too. Very sharp practice.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Hi Bish

Unfortunately, all devices have a shelf life, whether that is 3 or 30+ years, and there is nothing anyone of us can do about it.

Also, you suggest that some devices are being remotely disabled, that is illegal and if you can prove it you could be in for some punitive damages.  However, it is unlikely most companies would pull a stunt like that, especially with so many tech savvy people around nowadays.

Still, if you have a badly behaving box then may I suggest you perform a factory reset on it, that should clear out any corrupt software and allow you to download the latest update.

UK Bob