cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Re: Bricked Again - Black Now TV Box

@ukbobboySadly no i dont think so. I beleive the apps must be installed through the interface to have them recognised and show up on the homescreen. My guess is that some info for the install is still saved on the box (like configuration of some sort) so you cant simply just put them on the card yourself.

Yep, Plex wins for me too and can play anything i could ever put on a USB stick/hard disk anyway so if you can use Plex its defiantly the better of the two. My laptop is full of shows,movies and music which is always switched on so is basically my Plex server and eliminates the need for USB app.

0 Thanks
ukbobboy
Champion 2

@Anonymous User

Yes Raevelyn, I totally agree with your Plex paragraph.

I use a NAS as my Plex server to hold and deliver all my media to my TV and TV sound system, right now I can't imagine life without my NAS computer and Now TV box, the two have completely changed my viewing and listening habits.

For example, I don't buy CDs anymore I download my digital music from Amazon, i.e.  once my selection is purchased I can perform a download almost immediately and have my music on my NAS within 5 - 10 minutes. 

No, there is no going back to physical media.

UK Bob

0 Thanks
SeeMoreDigital Legend 5
Legend 5

Sufficed to say...

If people want a Roku device with an active USB port and an active SD card slot, they should stump up the cash buy a Roku branded box, not a 'highly subsidised' NOW TV box 😉

Cheers

• TV 1: LG 65UH770V | Software: v05.30.65 | OS: webOS v3.3.4 • TV 2: LG 43UH668V | Software: v05.50.55 | OS: webOS v3.3.4 • All TV's: NOW TV app v4.7.25 | Post Processing Features: All disabled  • ISP: Virgin Media@100Mbps | WIRED NETWORK: 1Gbps | NAS: Synology DS212+ •
ukbobboy
Champion 2

@SeeMoreDigital

Well SMD,

You said, "If people want ...... an active USB port and an active SD card slot, they should stump up the cash buy a Roku branded box....".  Point taken, but you must admit that Now TVs advertising is not clear that the USB and MicroSD ports are for decoration only.  

Anyway, this thread way never about making use of the "ports on the black box", that was just something we drifted into as an interesting side issue, nothing more.

UK Bob

0 Thanks
commanda6 Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ukbobboy

Actually, now TV do state and have stated for a long time that the USB port on NowTV boxes is currently non-functional and is the possible future functionality

http://www.nowtv.com/box

After clicking the link expands the tech specs tab

box2_specs.jpg

I do not work for now TV. I am simply a NowTV customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.

If you find posts on the community useful or helpful can you give them Thanks By pressing the thumbs up button. If a post solves a problem you are having can you mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Thanks
Eddie-M
NOW TV Team (Retired)

Hi @ukbobboy At the moment there isn't much you can do with the SD Slot and USB port these we're built in for future use and updates. At the moment most people use the USB slot as a way of charging their phones and tablets where a spare plug is not available. Which in a way i find handy myself 🙂

Anonymous User
Not applicable

While it does now state on the box and website those slits are not used, initially it didn't when the boxes first released. I remember the big angry thread about it.

That being said the last time I looked tge little white booklet you get with a new box is very misleading. Is does state clearly there is a usb port but not used, but for the sd card it actually states what formats etc it supports leaving you to believe you can use it for photos etc. So its understandable why people do get confused 😉
0 Thanks
ukbobboy
Champion 2

@Eddie-M @commanda6

Guys

Please, no more debate about the ports, I've known about them since the black box was released last year and the discussion about them was just one interesting "side issue" amongst other side issues, nothing more.

So lets not spin this up into something that its not, time to leave this (non) topic alone.

UK Bob

0 Thanks
spd
Mentor

Re: NOW TV Box not currently working

Here we are again - a month or so since it last happened - black screen, with grey cloud-like shape. It seems that it recognises that I'm pressing buttons on the remote as I'm getting the beep sound, but other than that, the box is frozen.

Wondering if a Roku will be similarly affected...?

SPD.

0 Thanks
ukbobboy
Champion 2

Re: NOW TV Box not currently working

@spd

Your problem happened to me three days ago, check out the following thread for the solution:

http://community.nowtv.com/t5/NOW-TV-Box-black/Bricked-Again-Black-Now-TV-Box/td-p/411587

UK Bob

0 Thanks