cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

TV not recognising Now TV box is there all the time

My brand new updated Now TV box is not being recognised by the TV all the time. It does some times but then sometimes it does not. The TV says it's not receiving a signal from the Now TV box. I have tried everything replaced cables etc. It works once maybe and then doesn't work again. It is highly annoying. 

9 REPLIES 9
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

What's the model number of your TV ?

Also, do you have the standard black nowtv box or the newer smart box with the inbuilt Freeview TV tuner ?

When you say that the TV won't recognise the box are you referring to that there is no picture or UI shown at all on your TV screen ie the screen is totally blank ?

Or if you are using the smart box there is no Freeview channels been shown on screen and you lose all TV reception signals from your aerial ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I will have to look up the model number when I get home. I have the Newer Smart Box. The TV screen is totally blank saying the there is no signal from the Now TV box. This does not happen all the time. It happens mostly when I have been watching something turn the TV off and then turn it on again a while later to watch something else. 

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @schnapps

Guys

It sounds like a faulty HDMI socket on the TV, but that's a guess on my part, maybe if Shaun tests his NowTV box on another TV, he should be able to get an idea where the fault is.

UK Bob 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It is not that. I've tried to swap to a different HDMI socket. Used a different cable. Used other boxes like other Freeview boxes. This is the second Now TV box that's giving the same issues. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

If you could come back with your TV make and model number that would be great thanks.

Another question when you reply back here later on.

Have you got a second TV in the house and if so have you tried (for testing purposes only) connecting your nowtv smart box with that second TV (using the same HDMI cable) just to see if you are getting the same result of a blank screen from the smart box ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

We've not got another TV in the house. I will send the make and model this evening. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've got the Model No of our TV. It's a Samsung 32" D4003 Series 4 LED TV. Model No: UE32D4003BW

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Looking at the specifications of your TV, i would say on paper that the nowtv box should in theory be compatible.

However, you mentioned that you have tried two different nowtv boxes, changed HDMI cables and Swapped the HDMI ports with the same results on your TV, this would suggest to me that there is some sort of HDMI conflict between the nowtv boxes and your Samsung TV.

The only things that i could suggest you could try are as follows (though they are wild shots to be honest).

Try a factory reset and then a forced software update by going in the box settings, whilst in the box settings make sure that under display settings your box is set to 720p and try changing the auto power settings.

You could also look in your TV picture or custom settings menu if there are any option for CEC control or Auto/ Eco  Power Save and maybe have a play around with the settings.

Like, i said they are a shot in the dark, but there is no harm trying.

Hopefully somebody on here will offer some further suggestions on things to try or maybe a member who owns the same model Samsung TV can confirm either way that they have no issues or the same problem with the nowtv boxes with this particular model TV.  

Sorry i couldn't help further, good luck in getting it sorted out.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

I have got another two things that you could possibly try on your TV if the suggestions in my previous post don't work (which is very unlikely to be honest).

The symptoms that you are describing sounds like a HDMI handsake issue when you restart both your TV and nowtv smart box.

The first suggestion will not work if your TV doesn't support CEC hdmi control (I think it is called Anynet + on Samsung TV's).

If you TV does support CEC control then switch it on in the TV menu settings  go into the box menu settings under control other devices and tick the "1 -Touch play" box.

You then need to switch off the TV first and then let the nowtv box automatically shutdown on its own (approx 2 minutes).

Give it say 5 minutes let things settle then hit the home button on the nowtv box remote controller to see if the TV will automatically power on too it's correct hdmi source setting with your TV screen showing the NowTV homepage.

Should your TV don't have the CEC function, then try different combination procedures of switching off and starting both your TV & nowtv box (sometimes with hdmi handshake protocol you need to shutdown and restart devices in a certain particular order of sequence).

I would try this sequence first.

1. Before switching off the TV change the source on your television to the TV in built tuner (even if there is no aerial connected into the back of the TV).

2. Then switch the TV off.

3. Then let the nowtv smart box go into it's hibernation mode (which should take 2 to 3 minutes).

4. When you are ready to watch nowtv, switch the box on first by hitting the home button on the RC.

5. Give the nowtv box about 30 seconds to restart from hibernation.

6. Then press the TV standby button on the TV RC and change the source button on the TV remote from TV tuner (last setting before putting the TV into standby) and then select the hdmi source number to which ever the box is connected too (make sure that you do this within a 2 minute time frame or the box will automatically shutdown back into it's hibernation off mode).

7. Hopefully if the TV and box has successfully passed the handshake encryption the nowtv homepage will be shown on the screen.