cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Flickering home screen on smart box

I have just purchased a new smart box to replace my standard black box. The home screen flickers constantly when on 1080P setting, but the picture is fine. The home screen is fine when the box is set to 720P.

I have a Sony Bravia TV, which is able to accept 1080p and 1080p/24f settings.

There was no problem with the standard black box when it was set on 1080p. I have reset the box software and no improvement.

Any suggestions please before I return the box??

7 REPLIES 7
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum. If your TV worked fine with your previous box you shouldn't have any issues with the Smart Box. Have you tried powering down both TV and box, removing the HDMI cable from both ends, reconnecting and then powering back up? Also if you can try a different HDMI cable (there's one in the box for example) and/or try with a different TV it would help eliminate some possibilities.

You say you've done a reset of the box, might be worth trying a forced software update to see if it helps.

Press Home on the remote to take you to the home screen. Then do the following sequence on your remote quickly and smoothly
Home (x5) FF (x3) REW (x2)

If done correctly a Secret Screen will appear (if it doesn't, press Home to go back to the start and then try again). Choose Update software and allow it to run (even if it reports the same version as you already have).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is this flickering when you scroll? I have just a bought a smart box and have flickering issues.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

I am also getting the same flickering when mainly scrolling up and down the nowtv smart box homepage thumbnails 

Never used to happen previously on older Firmware, where i have used the box since released in 2016, so guessing there is a bug in the software.

I didn't report it to the NowTV Team because i thought it might have been only my smart box effected.

Tried a different HDMI cable, HDMI port on my TV and a forced software update with no luck.

The only thing i haven't tried is a factory reset, due to that i am currently on a NowTV Trial App which would be lost if i attempted to factory reset my box (suppose no harm in you trying a factory reset to see if the flickering navigating around the homepage thumbnails disappears).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

If it’s a common issue I’m not sure whether that would make a difference. I was going to take it back to Currys but now not sure whether they may all be like that. Anyone else with this?
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Not sure if it's common, so far only you, me and one other person has noticed it currently from reading the forums.

Should nobody else on here report the problem, perhaps take it back to Currys for a replacement box to see if the replacement fixes it.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It would be interesting to see. I’ll give it to the weekend and see if this thread prompts any others to report similar concerns the I’ll take it back.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've just recently purchased a Hisense 4k tv and soon as I connected my Now TV smart box, the screen flickered and went black for a few seconds and flickered again! I managed to get to the settings to change the resolution DOWN to 720p.. Every time I try to change it back to 1080p, the same flickering/blank screen occurs! I've changed HDMI cables and updated software on both tv and smart box, but still not working! Any advice??