cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Compatibility

Hi does the now tv smart box work with all tv brands? I'm looking to buy a new TV and one of the reviews said now tv didn't work on it. I'm not sure if they meant it wasn't on the inbuilt apps or just generally wasn't compatible with the brand of TV. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

If you are referring to the generation 1 smart box with the inbuilt Freeview tuner, then all you need is a television with a HDMI port, together with a TV aerial and an internet connection of 2.5mbps or higher.

With regards to the newer nowtv 4K smart box the only compatibility issue would be with the nowtv smart remote, where the IR commands saved in the remote doesn't match the IR codes on every television manufactured.

The IR command codes only effects two buttons on the nowtv smart remote controller, which are TV on/off standby button and volume adjust button that can be used to operate the TV.

The nowtv box is based on the Roku boxes and the IR TV command codes saved on the nowtv smart remote should cover the main big TV manufacturers such has Samsung, LG, Sony Panasonic etc plus other brands sold in the USA.

However like you mentioned it can't cover every brand of Television in the world and some of the more obscure TV brands might not be covered with the two button IR codes.

What TV manufacture and model are you thinking of buying, where perhaps somebody on here is using that brand TV with the nowtv smart remote ?

I have a Panasonic TV and the nowtv smart remote works fine interacting with regards to the TV on/ off standby and TV volume sound adjustments. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

If you are referring to the generation 1 smart box with the inbuilt Freeview tuner, then all you need is a television with a HDMI port, together with a TV aerial and an internet connection of 2.5mbps or higher.

With regards to the newer nowtv 4K smart box the only compatibility issue would be with the nowtv smart remote, where the IR commands saved in the remote doesn't match the IR codes on every television manufactured.

The IR command codes only effects two buttons on the nowtv smart remote controller, which are TV on/off standby button and volume adjust button that can be used to operate the TV.

The nowtv box is based on the Roku boxes and the IR TV command codes saved on the nowtv smart remote should cover the main big TV manufacturers such has Samsung, LG, Sony Panasonic etc plus other brands sold in the USA.

However like you mentioned it can't cover every brand of Television in the world and some of the more obscure TV brands might not be covered with the two button IR codes.

What TV manufacture and model are you thinking of buying, where perhaps somebody on here is using that brand TV with the nowtv smart remote ?

I have a Panasonic TV and the nowtv smart remote works fine interacting with regards to the TV on/ off standby and TV volume sound adjustments. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you schnapps. It's a Hi Sense tv kinda newish brand so just wanted to check. Remote would cause too much of an issue I would just use the roka remote app on my. Phone. 👍👍👍

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

My gut feeling is that Hisense should be fine, because i know this popular Chinese Brand is sold in the USA.

Hopefully a Hisense TV owner on here with the nowtv smart remote will confirm that the remote is compatible with regards to switching the TV into standby and adjusting the volume on the TV.