cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lockmatt
Expert 2

will it go on my devices?

am wanting to take advantage of current black box deals that are about at the moment,i would like to give box to someone just to use iplayer,all 4 etc,they wont be using any now tv services,will this go down as an added device on my account even though they wont be watching anything on now tv

7 REPLIES 7
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@lockmatt

A box doesn't get added as one of your registered devices until something is watched in the NOW TV app, so just watching the other apps won't affect anything. 

The problem is you need to enter a Now TV username and password when setting up the box, so if you do this before giving to a friend, there,'s nothing stopping them from going into the NOW TV app and watching your passes (which then adds it to youraccount).

So ideally, let your friend create their own NOW TV account and set the box up for themselves, rather than you setting it up for them (in other words buy the box and give it to them but don't set it up beforehand).

lockmatt
Expert 2

@Andy i thought they would not be able to sign in to now tv if they dont know my username and password,i thought that was just to set up box which i will do, i just want to give the box to my mum who will only be using the other apps besides now tv as i have 2 on my devices list already.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@lockmatt

When you enter your NOW TV details on setup it also populates these in the NOW TV app so you are automatically signed in there as well.

As it's your mum, what you can do is set the box up for her, then go into the NOW TV app and go to the My Account screen from the menu, and sign out of the NOW TV app. The box will now work for your mum as far as other apps are concerned, but she won't be able to use the NOW TV app by accident.

The only thing to bear in mind is if anything goes wrong with the box and you need to do a hard reset, you'll need to enter your NOW TV account to set it back up, and then you'll need to remember to sign out of the NOW TV app again as well.

Hope that makes sense! 

lockmatt
Expert 2

@Andy so as long after set up i sign out straight away and nothing is watched on now tv it does not go down as an added device on my account

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@lockmatt Yep, that would be fine!

lockmatt
Expert 2

@Andy thanks for your help

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@lockmatt You're welcome, hope your mum enjoys the box.