cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tutu
Advocate

Broadband Router Strength

My router seem to be weak. Covers only within my living room. I live in a small flat and yet, I cannot access wifi in the rooms next to the living room. I may have to get NOW to change the router to a better one or cancel my membership/suscription

11 REPLIES 11
Jayach
Elite 3

@Tutu 

Just get yourself a Sky SR203 router from eBay or the like, it will improve the Wi-Fi coverage and be a straight swap.

Now do not have any router other than the Hub 2.

Nitro
Scholar 3

@Tutu Would personally recommend a wifi mesh network. 

Tompo
Scholar 2

@Tutu 

The NOW Hub 2 does have a bit of a reputation for weak WiFi coverage - with good reason. However if you are getting absolutely zero coverage in the adjacent room much of the problem could be down to the construction of your building. Metal mesh lath is not uncommon in UK properties covering the interior walls before plastering. I have plenty of experience of this and it is like living in a Faraday cage, a more powerful router made only a small improvement. The first thing I did was position the router in line of sight of the doors which made an immediate improvement even when shut. If you are in a small flat where you can position the router in a central hallway this may be enough. Otherwise a mesh WiFi system is your best best, ideally with ethernet backhaul.

redchiz1
Champion 2

@Tutu 

I agree with @Tompo that positioning is worth looking at: away from any reflective services, elevated and not too close to any other electrical devices is best.

Also, you could try making some tweaks to the wireless settings as set out in Step 4 of the help article here

RoyB
Legend

@redchiz1 

Can you explain how this can possibly help?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
redchiz1
Champion 2

@RoyB 

Can you explain why it won't? 

RoyB
Legend

@redchiz1 

Yes, but you first….

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
redchiz1
Champion 2

@RoyB 

If the OP asks and/or responds in light of any suggestions already made. 

RoyB
Legend

@redchiz1 

We must remember that these threads are also read by silent observers who may be tempted to try band splitting.

So, you take Now’s advice to split the bands. You have four choices for using the current SSID; on the 2,4GHz band, on the 5GHz band, on both bands, or on neither band.

Use it for the 2.4GHz band, and all WiFi devices, 5GHz and 2.4GHz alike, will join that band. So the speed of all your 5GHz devices will be dragged down, and even the 2,4GHz devices will be dragged down by the extra devices competing for the 2.4GHz bandwidth.

Use it for the 5GHz band, and all your 2.4GHz devices will drop off the network, because they don’t know where to go,

Use it on both bands, and while you don’t lose any devices, you haven’t really got split bands either, so you are no further forward.

Don't use the existing SSID for either, and every WiFi device will drop off your network.

Remember, the Now advice is to do the latter, and is entirely silent on what to do for post-splitting optimisation.