cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

My now tv box cant connect to my local network

The light just comes up red when trying to connect and then fails. Is it a problem that its a virgin media router? I have the password right and it does connect to the router just not to the local network help.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Lots of people have experienced problems with Virgin Hubs
Others report that this will work :
Try pressing the HOME button on the remote 5 times followed by one press of FF,PLAY, REW, PLAY and finally FF.

You should now be in the hidden menu where you can scroll down to deselect 'enable network pings' box at bottom of screen.

Then move blue line down to Back and select - it should then connect and work ok with Virgin Superhub.

View solution in original post

257 REPLIES 257
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I can't connect to my virgin network either I've tried hard resetting both now tv box and Reuter plus detecting bings please help! It was working fine for months and then a couple of weeks ago it just wouldn't connect !
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Anyone who's having trouble with NowTV seeing your wireless network at all (when you scan for it, it just doesn't appear), log on to your router and change the channel setting and see if that helps.

Especially in busier areas, you may also want to download a wifi analyzer to check out what channels your neighbours are on, to try to pick a channel that you'll get less interference - NowTV needs a lot of bandwidth and if you and your neighbour are competing on the same channel you'll both get poor performance. I use "Wifi Analyzer" from author "farproc" on Android for this but there are other options too.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Stuart having the same trouble and have disabled the pings several times. Used the back button and tried again but still not connecting. We've been this since last night and getting very frustrated. Any other suggestions please. Thanks
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Sorry about that.

Have you been able to view now or is the issue ongoing?

Birgit

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Birgit,
After several attempts at getting onto the disable ping stage and not getting any further, persistence paid off and we're now up and running. Think Virgin may have been having some problems. Thanks for checking though. Best regards
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Glad to hear that @Anonymous User 🙂

Birgit

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Tried that countless times and still it won't work, it doesn't even bring up the platform thing ????
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Thank you for getting in touch. Can we ask which ISP you are with? What happens when you try the hard rest of the NOW TV box?

Cheers

Ranj

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This box was working fine for months and suddenly stopped connecting just this week..

You can waste hours/days trying to resolve this (I did, and I missed the one programme I bought this box for (GoT) and am not very happy) and there seem to be a few common causes:

• network pings (some people can resolve the issue by accessing the secret menu and disabling them).
    • Didn't work for me.
  • the box needs to be reset.
    • didn't work for me, no matter how many times nor how I did it (hard/soft/factory whatever) in conjunction withdisabling network pings each time
  • a recent software update that interfered with WiFi channels 12 and 13.
    • There was a workaround (switching your router to channel 11 or below) that works for some, but not for me (I was on channel 11 already).
    • For some this was in conjunction with disabling network pings (or was it coincidence? who knows?)
  • a fix for that update was distributed (but you might not be able to get it if you can't connect Smiley Wink  )
    • Didn't work for me since I already had the software version with the 'fix'
    • but it appears to work for some people
  • a preference for the NowTV box to use channel 1!
    • This is a bit nonsensical and totally against the use of 'standards' but was the one thing that (finally!) worked for me: switch from channel 11 to 1 and the box works, switch back to 11 and it stops.
    • This causes me another problem because the reason I don't use channel 1 is to avoid the interference we get from neighbours using the same channel..guess I'll have to work on that until NowTV fixes the problem

Bottom line, IMHO, for those that have a life (I would like to include myself in that category! Smiley LOL) but have this problem:

- try disabling network pings

- try switching your router to channel 11

- try switching your router to channel 1

Oh and a request for NowTV: please update this box to be standards compliant so that your customers don't have to mess around with their routers and use specific WiFi channels just to watch TV

Anonymous User
Not applicable

HI @Anonymous User

Thank you for your detailed post.

We're currently looking into this with our technical team and I will pass your information over to them as well.

Just to be clear - changing your wireless channel from 11 to 1 works?

Birgit

NOW TV Team