cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

Super bumper fun TV adverts fom childhood thread

@caseyb1993 @schnapps @ukbobboy and anyone else with an infantile sense of humour

So here it is, the super bumper fun TV adverts from childhood thread (blame Casey she started it with Rowntree's Fruit Pastilles .... the only thing you can really do with a Rowntree's Fruit Pastille is .... you know the rest!)

Nobody likes watching ads these days they just lack the smile, childish elegance of our rose-tinted youth (ie everything was naff but we thought it was fab at the time).

So regardless of age, share your favourite TV ads from your yoof. The funnier, wittier, or sing-along-addictive the better.

I've got SOOOO many to choose from, but here's a couple of my favourites to kick things off.

The Smash mashed potato alien robots from

https://youtu.be/ofv5Ca1LD8U

And my all time favourite PG Tips chimp ad (I LOOOVE a good monkey ad), Mr Shifter the removal chimp ... All together now .... "Cooeeeeee Mr Shifter...."

https://youtu.be/m3F0nnPHyWo

PG Tips Mr Shifter another funny add from the 80s
150 REPLIES 150
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@caseyb1993

Oh cool question, TV ads and comics!! Yeah I did read the Beano but not regularly I just got it now and then if I had any spare pocket money. I also bought odd issues of 2000AD when it first came out and an occasional superhero comic, mainly Spider-Man. I used to like Bash Street Kids best. There was also a horror comic that I used to read but can't remember the name off-hand.

But my favourite comic that I bought every week was Look-In which you've probably never heard of, but basically it was made by TV Times mag for kids and had loads of comic strips about favourite kids TV shows - Famous Five, Tomorrow People, Incredible Hulk, Six Million Dollar Man, Bionic Woman, Sapphire and Steel, A-Team, Charlie's Angels, Battlestar Galactica, CHiPs, Buck Rogers, Dempsey and Makepeace, any shows popular with kids they'd have a comic strip inside... it's aim was basically to turn all kids into complete TV addicts and make sure they were watching ITV all the time, and for me it worked as I've been a TV addict ever since!!

What did the rest of you guys read?

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@caseyb1993 @ukbobboy @schnapps

A bit of Googling and I've tracked down the horror comic I remember - Scream! (Bit obvious when you think of it!) No wonder it's slipped out of my mind apparently they only did 15 issues before it went bust!! The muppets, every kid needs a horror comic growing up! I mean, check out the cover, you can see why I parted with hard earned pocket money!

image.jpeg

Even better I've found that some kind genius has put all 15 issues online to read, a quick look and it's all come flooding back. So next time you have a spare 5 mins sit back with a cuppa and a biscuit and enjoy The Dracula Files or the best strip imo was Thirteenth Floor!

http://www.backfromthedepths.co.uk/gallery.htm

ukbobboy
Legend

@Andy @caseyb1993 @schnapps

Hi Andy

I too used to read a horror comic but I cannot remember the name of it, I only remember one particular story about a headless man looking for his head to reattach it. In the end he took someone else's head.

And on that note, catch you later.

UK Bob

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@caseyb1993 @Andy @ukbobboy

Que the Violin music, when i was a kid money was always tight and if my parents had any spare change (never had pocket money) then a treat for me was either a packet of sweets / crisps or a chocolate bar Smiley Sad

Saying that i did have each Christmas a comic book annual which was either the Beano or The Dandy (enjoyed both).

@Andy, a big thumbs up on the majority of the TV shows you watched has a kid.

Apart from the shows on Andy list, i always looked forward to watching the old Black & White 1930's TV shows on Saturday mornings ie Flash Gordon and Tarzan Smiley Happy

Would love to see a new Flash Gordon TV series remade with all the CGI technology available today Smiley Happy 

Another trivia bit of general knowledge for everybody, that both Buster Crabbe (Flash Gordon) and Johnny Weissmuller (Best Tarzan ever) were Olympic Gold Medal swimmers before starring in their famous acting roles.

PS - Also loved the music from the Banana Splits TV show on Saturday mornings Smiley Very Happy

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps wrote:

@caseyb1993 @Andy @ukbobboy.

PS - Also loved the music from the Banana Splits TV show on Saturday mornings Smiley Very Happy

@schnapps I think my mum used to tell me about that show. 🙂

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@caseyb1993

Yeah the Banana Splits was a show that started in the late 60's early 70's which the BBC would air on Saturday mornings for the kids in the early eighties.

I always loved the music theme to the show has a kid.

[video]

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps @caseyb1993

Ye I remember Banana Splits, and The Monkees on Saturday mornings. One of my favourite holiday morning TV shows was Why Don't You which was full of kids telling you how to do various games or craft ideas to keep you out of your parents way ... The irony of the theme tune telling me to switch off my TV set and go and do something less boring instead was lost on me at the time ... I'd rather carry on sitting in front of the telly for the Spider-Man and Scooby Doo cartoons on after! 😄

https://youtu.be/3FQktsKvXcg

PS This thread is now officially retitled The Super Bumper Fun Childhood Memories thread ... Enjoy! 😉

Why don't you just switch off your television set and go out and do something less boring instead......
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps

Oh ye I LOVED getting annuals as a kid for Xmas, it was amazing in the toy store looking at the huge range of annuals and thinking i hope i get that i hope i get that ...

I loved the TV shows tho, Knight Rider annuals, Doctor Who annuals, Incredble Hulk, Famous Five ... All of which were stuffed with filler like rubbish stories, quizzes and dot to dots .... But I didn't care cos when we are kids a glossy photo of BA Baracus on the cover means it's an instant winner! 😄

ukbobboy
Legend

@caseyb1993 @Andy @schnapps

Casey

You asked, "Did you ever read the Beano?", unfortunately, yes I did. My favourite cartoon character was "Roger the Dodger".

However, the last time I saw a Beano comic I noticed that a lot of the characters I use to read about, during my primary school days, were no longer in the comic, I'm guessing but I believe this happened because the Beano merged with it's rival, the Dandy and they had to cut down on the number of characters they now had to manage.

Does the Beano still exist as a comic?

UK Bob

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy I think they still do it as I have seen it in WHSmith a few times. I used to read my dad's collection and it was much better than today's. He also had Dandy but I preferred Beano. 🙂

I've seen them on eBay too. 🙂

Minnie the Minx was my favourite character. Enough said. 😄

@Andy I used to buy Simpsons Comics. I stopped buying them though as I would buy them and forget about them. I haven't seen it in shops for ages so whether they still do it, I don't know. 😞

Futurama comics too but they stopped doing that one roughly 5 years ago 😞

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂