Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Legend

Old Hi-Fi System

@caseyb1993 @Andy @GraphiteGB @mark_suff  @commanda6

Hi Guys 

I was bouncing around YouTube when I came across this video, it shows the Thorens turntable and SME tone arm I used to use back in the day.  Before marriage and children, I used to be (well) into Hi-Fi (high fidelity) systems and the Thorens turntable combo used to be the head/start of my system.

I know this has absolutely nothing to do with NowTV etc. but I'm sure there are a few older fans out there that still remember the days when Hi-Fi was king.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaMn20oJ4Bc

UK Bob

Pink Floyd - Time from the "Dark Side of the Moon" 180 Gram LP Thorens TD 160 Super / Audio Technica AT440MLa / Shure SME 3009 Series 2 Improved tone arm / Pioneer VSX-9500s (Pre-Amp) / White Oaked Phase Linear (WOPL) 1000 Power Amp (530 watts per channel into 8 Ohms), 108.7 Volts on the Main ...
310 REPLIES 310
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@SeeMoreDigital

Thanks for the warm welcome back, totally agree with you about the sound quality of these pictures discs compared to the std black discs.

These discs where more marketed towards the artist fan rather than the music purest, but they still looked amazing IMO.

Would imagine they can't be stylus user friendly either, where i have seen some top end cartridges selling for eye watering hundreds of pounds (No problem if you was playing these picture disc records on say an old Amstrad Record player or something similar).

Anyway i am going off topic now and need to get back on track discussing about old HiFi.

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

Sorry to hijack this thread guys but if anyone is interested, 

Pringles are offering a 4 months subscription to Deezer if you buy 3 tubes. You have to be a new customer though or just make a new account like me. 🙂

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Feel free to join in anytime @caseyb1993 Smiley Happy

ukbobboy
Legend

@caseyb1993 @Anonymous User @Tony-D @schnapps

Hi Casey

No problem, as Robert said, feel free to join in at any time.

However, at the moment I enjoy my "old skool" music via the currently subscription-free TuneIn channel.  

Cheers

UK Bob

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@caseyb1993 wrote:

Sorry to hijack this thread guys but if anyone is interested, 

Pringles are offering a 4 months subscription to Deezer if you buy 3 tubes. You have to be a new customer though or just make a new account like me. 🙂

I can't seem to get away from Spotify 😕 all my playlists are on there. I have about 100 playlists consting of thousands of songs you see. Wish we could transfer.

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Tony-D Same for me but on Deezer. It's going to be a pain with a new account 😂

I'll be sad when Google Play Music eventually disappears as that used to be my number 1 app originally. Followed by SoundCloud. 🙂

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @schnapps @Tony-D @caseyb1993

Hi Guys

I don't know if any of you have ever heard of Clearaudio and the range of high end, cutting edge turntables they make but when I came across this video I was gob smacked. In fact, my gob has never been so smacked.

Gob Smacked.jpg

Not only was I stunned by the design concepts but by the mortgage busting (I never want to be able to eat again) prices ask for some of these TT's, even their basic "bread and butter" model was  $1,600 (£1,000+).

Check out the video, if you can.

UK Bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu34LGTAxvE

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy wrote:

@Anonymous User @schnapps @Tony-D @caseyb1993

Hi Guys

I don't know if any of you have ever heard of Clearaudio and the range of high end, cutting edge turntables they make but when I came across this video I was gob smacked. In fact, my gob has never been so smacked.

Gob Smacked.jpg

Not only was I stunned by the design concepts but by the mortgage busting (I never want to be able to eat again) prices ask for some of these TT's, even their basic "bread and butter" model was  $1,600 (£1,000+).

Check out the video, if you can.

UK Bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu34LGTAxvE

That's definitely grounds for divorce in this household Smiley LOL Mind blowing prices all right Smiley Surprised

ukbobboy
Legend

@robert1997 @schnapps @Tony-D @caseyb1993

Hi Robert

You know, if I ever bought one these Clearaudio turntables, even the "bread and butter" model, I would check myself into a psych ward because I would know for certain that I had lost my mind.

Right now, as I type this, I have my fan blowing at full blast, listening to some cool music and drinking a smirnoff and cola.

Happiness Emoji.jpg

I have never, ever known the weather to be so hot for so long especially when in the 70's they thought we might be heading towards another ice age, e.g. it snowed in June (75).

Query Emoji 02.jpg

We've swung from a forthcoming ice age to global warming, crazy times we're living in.

Spinning Earth.gif

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Crazy times indeed my friend. It's hot alright, but not so hot as to fry our brains and have us shelling out a small mortgage on a piece of hi-fi kit Smiley LOL

Give me another hour and I'll join you for a cool beer in the garden Smiley Happy