cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Re: Competing Video Services on the NOW TV Box

I like the idea you have put forward and completey understand the frustration however i doubt that it will ever happen. Amazon and Netflix are bound to have a complaint about their services not being accessable unless you have paid for a NowTV pass. It works with the sports app as it's Skys own.

I would imagine if nowtv could get away with this then they would have already prevented the ability to use third party apps already included such as BBC, whihc again if they did that i think the BBC would complain.

Silly really as i think more people would buy the NowTV boxes if they could access more from it and having the box always gives an incentive to purchase a pass if its sat in fornt of you. But i suspect there will be licenecing issues as usual too. (Reminds me of Google complaining and taking Microsoft to court becuase windows had Internet Explorer built in lol).

I'm with you though, i mean to add to your suggestions i'd love to see the USB app and Plex availble so me dont have to side load it and manually update them.

The other option is to buy the Roku box whihc costs more but isnt restircted by NowTV.

0 Thanks
commanda6 Champion 2
Champion 2

In order for other streaming services to be on now TV boxes. NowTV would have to get legal agreements with the services in question.  The chances of that happening are virtually zero, particularly with regard to Amazon because Amazon likes to push its own hardware. But it's also very unlikely in the case of Netflix as well, but at least Netflix aren't interested in pushing their own hardware. So it is perhaps a tiny bit more likely that Netflix might appear eventually, but I wouldn't bet on it

I do not work for now TV. I am simply a NowTV customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.

If you find posts on the community useful or helpful can you give them Thanks By pressing the thumbs up button. If a post solves a problem you are having can you mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Thanks
ukbobboy
Expert 2

@BradPJ @Anonymous User @commanda6

Hi Brad

I like your thinking but you have a few things that would make a union between NowTV, Amazon and Netflix an impossibility.

OK, You said, "Now, I was thinking of a solution and saw earlier that the Sky Sports News HQ app can only be accessed with a valid pass. Couldn't the same also be applied to the Netflix and Amazon Video apps? This would mean that the services are only available if you continue to subscribe to Now TV and then this would reduce some of the 'competition factors".

Not being able to buy Netflix or Amazon without buying NowTV would breach all sorts of anti-competitive law, and I also believe Amazon and Netflix would never (ever) agree to such an arrangement. 

As for Amazon, I agree with @commanda6 that it is very unlikely that Amazon and NowTV will ever come to any sort of agreement because, looking in from the outside, they have more in competition than they have in common.

I, like everybody else, would like to see Netflix as an app on NowTV boxes but, because they are in direct competition with each other, this too is unlikely to ever happen.

My simple solution, which is a compromise work around, is to put Netflix on chromecast, both NowTV box and the chromecast device can quite happily co-exist on the same TV and the inconvenience to the user is minimal.

UK Bob

BradPJ
Contributor 1

@ukbobboy @commanda6 @Anonymous User

Thanks for your comments. I understand it would not be as simple as enabling the app and there would have to be negotiations with the other apps / Roku in the first instance. I also feel that if the boxes had other apps on they would possibly sell more and gives an incentive for more people to purchase a pass. I personally did not purchase Sky Cinema until I purchased the Smart Box and saw the adverts for all the films everywhere. However, thats quite a separate discussion. 

In regards to competition laws, yeah that is something I did not consider. I was thinking along the lines of where an Xbox Live Gold subscription used to be required to use Sky Go Extra (and possibly Netflix? I wasn't an Xbox user back in them days), however these services, of course, were not in competition with each other. This pretty much brings that line of thinking to an end. 

Thanks for the suggestion regarding a Chromecast, I do have one in my bedroom and that is how I watch Now TV in there as I do not have freeview in there. However, my TV does have smart apps and I have an Xbox One plugged in. However, the smart apps are being neglected as I have a 2014 model Samsung TV and some apps being withdrawn (although the Netflix app is still very up-to-date and maintained). The Xbox however is pretty good for apps and that tends to be my go-to, although it can be pretty slow to get into an app to watch TV.

I guess I just wanted to add my voice to the others who have said that they would like these apps on the box while offering a potential solution. The box does a LOT very well, but nothing excellently, app selection being one of them. 

0 Thanks
danlowes
Occasional Poster

Re: Netflix on the NOW TV Box

bought a Now Tv box today as my fire tv stick broke, and all i want is to watch Netflix. i've had to spend an hour messing around and singing up for a free trial of some crappy package that i dont want. eventually figured out that my user name was my email so i could activate the effin thing. now there is no option to install netflix, or even amazon prime. what a con.

0 Thanks
danlowes
Occasional Poster

Netflix or amazon prime or not listed as apps that that i can get and no search option wtf

Can someone please help?

Bought a Now TV box today, but in the App store there is no search function, and it just seems to give you a choice of everything but netflix or amazon prime. BBC iplayer and Vevo, YouTube etc are available but not the 2 i want! a bit frustrating..

0 Thanks
4268 Champion 4
Champion 4

Hi @danlowes where did you get the impression you could watch Netflix on Now box? I'd love it if we could. By chance do you have a Chromecast? As you can use that for all three services.

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor

Chat are open 8am to Midnight:

Contact Now...

4268 Champion 4
Champion 4

Re: Netflix or amazon prime or not listed as apps that that i can get and no search option wtf

Hi @danlowes that is because they are not available, as per my response to your other post. I personally think that it would be good if they were available but Now thinks otherwise currently.

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor

Chat are open 8am to Midnight:

Contact Now...

0 Thanks
danlowes
Occasional Poster

I've just realised that Roku and now tv aren't the same thing. i thought they were. oh well i've just wasted £15

0 Thanks
the-nadger Mentor 3
Mentor 3

@danlowesUnfortunately it's an easy mistake to make as NowTV boxes are made by Roku but have different software.

I started with RokuLT and then switched to Roku HDMI Stick which can be purchased quite cheaply.

The NowTV black box is still excellent value for money and is an excellent device for demand services.

Please click on Thanks if I've helped. I'm a Community Contributor not staff.