cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UKTVPlayapp
Regular 1

Re: BT sport

Not long now until Bt Sport launch date on now tv.
0 Thanks
robert1997
Scholar 5

According to here https://www.tvchannellists.com/Forthcoming_changes_to_digital_platforms_%28UK_%26_Ireland%29 the date has been put back until the 22nd BUT the general concensus among people testing the product is that date will continue to be pushed back with a more likely launch date being 3 months down the line. Ultimately no-one knows until an official announcement is made and I don't think either party is in any big rush at the moment. Personally I feel it could be September just before the Champions League and Europa League group stages begin as Sky will want to promote the BT Sport channels to Sky customers so as to complete the full offering of football rights both currently hold, and which you will be able to pay via one 'super sports' package.

0 Thanks
Highlighted
KernowChris
Regular 1

I'm sorry but you are misreading that, far from official, guide. The events which are dated are known, the NOW TV details are simply aspirant events expected, as estimated based on preliminary information, in July of this year. Yes there are some leaks around surrounding the introduction of HD and the linked processes involved thereof, but that's all. It's tragic that we're not being told officially of precise information, but there are significant changes involved especially as it seems that NOW TV is planning to offer a two tier service. I'm not defending the delay there's no excuse for missing the end of 2018 offer, but that's where we are with Sky. 

robert1997
Scholar 5

Sorry @gavs82008 @KernowChris but I'm misreading nothing. I used that link as that is the page @UKTVPlayapp told us to check a few pages back and which I contradicted at the time. I'm merely pointing out that you can't rely on 3rd party sites for accurate and up to date information.

I do know a little more than I can share publicly which is very frustrating to say the least especially as I wouldn't like to get my source in R&D into any trouble with his bosses 😀

It is a shame though that big companies nowadays don't keep their customers informed when delays and changes arise. I think it would gain more trust if they were to do just that.

On a personal level I'm more interested in full NowTV coming to BTTV as I'm a BT customer who already takes their Max 4K tv package. I won't be taking any possible season pass with NowTV this year and if, as expected, nothing happens before the beginning of August I'll happily stick with BT Sport on BTTV and use the excellent Radio 5Live coverage for anything on Sky Sports 😀

starman73
Regular 2

BUT the general consensus among people testing the product is that date will continue to be pushed back with a more likely launch date being 3 months down the line. Ultimately no-one knows until an official announcement is made and I don't think either party is in any big rush at the moment. Personally I feel it could be September...

September would be about when I have to make my decision to stay with Virgin.  I am a bit surprised that this has taken so long and that it is not in place for the start of August when the football season kicks off as that would be the time many would be looking to subscribe.  Suspect I will be staying with Virgin for another year.

0 Thanks
robert1997
Scholar 5

@starman73There's nothing 'official' to indicate it won't make it before the football season starts (after all they have always intimated it would launch by then) but the murmurings from elsewhere suggest we are a few months off yet. If only BT & Sky could make some sort of announcement, even if it was to confirm things are being delayed, after all any news would be better than no news.

0 Thanks
gavs82008
Advocate 1

@robert1997 

Did not mean that there was misinterpretation information. 

The most frustrating part is the lack of updates from Sky and BT on this, more annoyingly that Ireland seems to have more updates and information than us in the UK. 

Of course I would never expect you to give your source especially when it is someone in R&D. It would be handy if even an update from Sky/BT saying something along the lines that gives us a rough ETA like sometime in August/September, instead of mid 2019 which is all it really states on the Sky website. 

Given that link provide by @UKTVPlayapp mentions July and still there is no news from BT/Sky it would certainly appear that there will be a further delay, which is nothing surprising for us Now TV customers!

That being said I am happy to pay and cancel BT sports casting for £10 a month as part of my EE Max plan mobile contract. 

The hope is that there will be a raft of majorly needed enhancements for Now TV when it makes the full launch on BT boxes, like 1080p, 5.1 surround sound, Sky sports catch up, allowing 4 streams at once.

0 Thanks
robert1997
Scholar 5

@gavs82008 

Quick question first, am I the only one doesn't have access to the Quote function anymore or is it the same for everyone?

OK, back to the matter in hand. I take everything I hear with a touch of salt as they say. This was someone I was introduced to recently but not someone I know very well so am reluctant to put 100% faith in them. The lack of official communication however does not bode well for an imminent launch, but then again who knows what might happen in the next week or so. It wouldn't be the first time there has been a surprise thrown up for us 😀

Personally I believe the biggest issue here is both BT and Sky/NowTV have to be ready at the same time for both aspects of the cross supply deal to go live. It's possible the delay is not all Sky's fault in this instance. What does concern me is the lack of consumer testing at Sky/NowTV's end whereas I'm reliably informed there has been testing done by consumers of BT Youview devices.

I'm with you on the wishlist for NowTV and can only hope the delay in introducing 1080p etc was due to the launch of the new services on BT/Sky/NowTV and that all will be foisted on us at the time of these services going live to consumers. I can't see anything less than 1080p being acceptable to BT customers for instance, especially as they can currently access Sky Main Event in better quality than that offered by NowTV.

0 Thanks
gavs82008
Advocate 1

@robert1997 what I have noticed is that I don't seem to be able to used the @ function when using my iPhone. 

This is very true though. Downloads were just randomly dropped on us, so I would not be surprised if the same applied with the new features. 

My guess is that the other features are still being tested in house with Now TV, but considering we signed up to the trials and still literally nothing is very frustrating to say the least. 

As I have used the BT sport app on my Samsung 4K TV I can confirm that it is night and day difference over Now TV quality, its 1080p and 50fps, this is also advertised on all news referring the BT sport app. More importantly the BT Sport app will also output on HDR/4K (not sure if it now but it is certainly coming), this is a massive difference as they only launched the "Big Screen" app this year whereas Now TV has been about for several years. 

To go off topic slightly I noticed that the BBC redbutton feature is bound to be cancelled this month. 

Perhaps this is another reason for the delay and we might see Red Button appear on Sky Sports Now TV passes? (straws are being clutched!)

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/What-s-on/Changes-to-the-Sky-TV-Guide-July-2019/ba-p/3024909

The following BBC Red Button Services will be removed:

• BBC RB HD 

• BBC RB 2 (982) 

• BBC RB 3 (983) 

• BBC RB 4 (984) 

• BBC RB 5 (985) 

• BBC RB 6 (986) 

• BBC RB 1 will be listed at EPG 981 for all viewers

Back onto topic, based on that link @UKTVPlayapp  is talking about. There is no date regarding the addition of BT sport on Sky/Now TV and vice versa, however there is a bunch of channel name changes due to happen on the 22nd, perhaps a possible date for official information? (again straws being clutched!)

https://www.tvchannellists.com/Forthcoming_changes_to_digital_platforms_(UK_%26_Ireland)

July 2019

• 22nd - Sky Sports Netball HD & SD revert to Sky Sports Mix (Sky, Virgin Media UK, Virgin Media Ireland)
  • 22nd - Sky Sports The Open HD & SD revert to Sky Sports Golf (Sky, Virgin Media UK, Virgin Media Ireland)
  • BT and Sky agreement on cross supply of TV channels comes into force:
    • NOW TV service added to YouView BT boxes - subscribers to NOW TV will have access to shows on Sky Atlantic and Sky original productions plus over 250 box sets, 1000 movies and a new premiere every day; plus access BT Sport on NOW TV boxes
    • Sky customers able to include BT Sport as part of their overall Sky subscription and access BT Sport through Sky Go
  • Sky Cinema Megahits HD & SD revert to Sky Cinema Hits HD & SD (Sky, Virgin Media UK, Virgin Media Ireland & YouView (BT/TalkTalk - SD only))
  • BT Sport Box Office HD* (separate UK and Irish versions) (Sky 490)
0 Thanks
robert1997
Scholar 5

@gavs82008 

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Sport-on-TV-Online-player-or/Free-HDR-viewing-for-the-UEFA-Champions-...

BT Sport’s new HDR service will launch for the BT Sport app ahead of the new football season. It will offer picture quality of up to 4K resolution from just £5 per month.