cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Discovery Science, PBS, History, and other channels

I see NowTV gets many of the Sky Discovery etc channels, but not all of them.

Channels wanted

Discovery Science

National Geographic (regular)

PBS America

Discovery History

Eden

Yesterday

Film 4

Animal Planet

History and H2

TCM

Is there a way to get those channels in NowTV, or without buying a whole Virgin or Sky package?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

I'm not aware of any other place where you're going to get everything on your list, and there are no legal ways of streaming all those for free.

With regards paying for the channels, can get some of the channels from BT TV, TalkTalk TV, PlusNet and the like if you are willing to change broadband providers.

The best option in my opinion is a TV Player Plus subscription which allows you to stream some of the channels on your list live, but you can't record or get on-demand content. Details of channel and compatible devices (NOW TV Box isn't one) are all on 

https://tvplayer.com/plus

along with a free trial if you have a suitable compatible device to watch on.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum.

There's no way to get them with a NOW TV subscription as NOW TV simply don't offer those channels at the present time. Some of the channels (Yesterday,Film4) are available free of charge on Freeview anyway. Some of the others you can get with a paid-for subscription from TV Player (streams of the live channel only)

Otherwise you are looking at a subscription from another TV provider.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @wdonelson,

In short... No!

I'm sure new channels will be added over time to the NOW TV 'subcription' platform but what they'll be is anybodies guess, as different people want different channels!

By-the-way... given that channels such as: Yesterday, Film 4 and PBS America are available for free via other distribution platforms, I doubt they will ever be included to the NOW TV platform.

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you. I was told before I bought my Now TV box that there was a "TV Player" app that would do Freeview, but I can't find it.

Must I buy yet another box?

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

The NOW TV Smart Box has  a built in Freeview receiver which you can connect to a suitable indoor or outdoor aerial, but the smaller black NOW TV box doesn't. 

http://www.nowtv.com/best-tv-boxes

There is currently no app to view the online 'TV Player' service (TVPlayer.com)

Most TVs will have a built-in Freeview receiver you can use to watch Freeview with.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ah yes, my old Sony does have Freeview, but no PBS or much else. A couple of channels of use

Is there any other way to get those channels in the original post above, other than Sky or Virgin etc?

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

I'm not aware of any other place where you're going to get everything on your list, and there are no legal ways of streaming all those for free.

With regards paying for the channels, can get some of the channels from BT TV, TalkTalk TV, PlusNet and the like if you are willing to change broadband providers.

The best option in my opinion is a TV Player Plus subscription which allows you to stream some of the channels on your list live, but you can't record or get on-demand content. Details of channel and compatible devices (NOW TV Box isn't one) are all on 

along with a free trial if you have a suitable compatible device to watch on.

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User You can use TVPlayer on other devices. I use mine on the Amazon Fire Stick/Fire tablet. 

It is also in the Apple store, Google Play etc...

Edit: Just saw Andy's link Smiley Embarassed

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
Anonymous User
Not applicable

The amount of times extra channels have come up and people talking about buying other services at i assume the same time as there Now pass,may be it would be a good time for Now tv to add an extra package for people who want more channels a bit like Plusnet & Talktalk do.With regardsTvplayer from looking at there web site it would seem that some channels do not play on all devices and there seem to be live programmes not shown on any devices ?