cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

10 / 15mb high quality stream.

I watch via ps4 on a 50" tv. It would be great to get a higher quality version. Say a 10 - 15mb @ 1080p stream. 

Currently I get 3.1mb stream on nowTV.

When you watch iplayer etc on a 50" tv you really notice the pixels even in HD.

I have a 50mb fibre connection so it isn't a problem.

7 REPLIES 7
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

I guessing here but because you are capable of receiving 10 - 15Mb to your home that does not mean that the local BT infrastructure is capable of sustaining such speeds.

Simply put, as soon as your Internet signal hits copper wire it is going to slow down and, unless told otherwise, BT still has a lot of copper wire to replace. In fact, there was a news article this week about possibly taking away the brandband roll-out from BT (Openreach) and giving it to another company.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-3415502/MPs-call-telecoms-giant-BT-sell-Openreach-service-UK-s-shoddy-broadband-coverage-improved.html

UK Bob

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy wrote:

@Anonymous User

I guessing here but because you are capable of receiving 10 - 15Mb to your home that does not mean that the local BT infrastructure is capable of sustaining such speeds.

Simply put, as soon as your Internet signal hits copper wire it is going to slow down and, unless told otherwise, BT still has a lot of copper wire to replace. In fact, there was a news article this week about possibly taking away the brandband roll-out from BT (Openreach) and giving it to another company.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-3415502/MPs-call-telecoms-giant-BT-sell-Openreach-service-UK-s-shoddy-broadband-coverage-improved.html

UK Bob

Hi @Anonymous User 

@ukbobboy  is correct in what he says. But there's also another side to that equation as well. Now TVs infrastructure would have to be capable of sending you data (video) at that speed. Now whilst that might very well be possible if it was a relatively low number of people or just you requesting video, it's unlikely that now TV would be able to manage that for everybody. Now TV needs to be able to give decent quality to everybody requesting video, which is why the 720p HD streams are limited to roughly between 3.1 and 3.5 Mbps depending on what you're watching 720p live sports streams will sit at the higher end of that equation.

15Mbps is actually close to what is used for 4K OnDemand IP video using the new h255 codec and is actually a rather excessive bit rate for a video resolution lower than 4K@25FPS

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
ukbobboy
Legend

@commanda6

You know, I would speculate that we in the UK are still a good number of years away from "High Speed Broadband for all", so like @Anonymous User just because you can buy high quality equipment doesn't mean that the high quality "juice" to feed it yet exist.

Equipment makers will tell you how great their latest beasts are but they can't tell you how to feed them.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I disagree a large number of the UK has fibre. If you dont... well you watch the normal quality stream. We here have a constant 36mb down & 2mb upload.

Netflix & Amazon Prime & Youtube offer high quality streams. Yes they do spend a lot of data pipes / even have their own but Now TV is owned by SKY one of the largest tv companies so really they should be at the forefront.

At least give us a 1080p stream. 720p is old hat. We'll probably end up skipping 1080p for 4k. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Only years old box sets would be 1080p

Catch up would be limited to 1080I as would live broadcasts footage

Sky Dish Does not broadcast 1080p and so does not have 1080p broadcast masters but only 1080i or 720p versions from the Networks limited to ~10Mb/s... for dish users...

Having 1080p only for boxset may be seen as a step up for limited usage and limited return when dish users have 1080i... 

Even 4K won't exsist with out specific content Mastered at 4K and only a few Film companies are using the new 8K cameras so they can down scale to 4K... Most are filmed in 2K for digital cinema... 

1080I is all the TV industry will be able to supply for a long time via IPTV...

Upscale is easy any one can do that .... even Itunes content is... as well as youtube...

[video]

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ok but we're talking about watching on a computer so aren't P & I irrevelivent? Take the bigest master & stream that online.

iPlayer now stream in HD even if the show isn't broadcast in HD.

I have a 5k computer screen for editing 4k. I just want a bigger resolution so stream the 1080i video over.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

No I is half the bandwidth and storage space of P...

P requires Double because it carries Double the lines per frame.

The reduction in bandwidth is why I was the choice of the TV industry. 

1080i Is still used for Broadcast on every UK TV channel Its deinterlaced by PCs but still a 1080i signal...

BBC Iplayer Does still not provided 1080i to every platform and is still only suppling 720p to alot of devices and live streams are not even 720p on devices only SD... as the BBC said...

Unlike NowTV whos sports feeds are 720p live.... And if you have Apple TV all content is 720p feeds Live and on demand...

Silverlight on windows is a dieing system so won't be upgraded... so still runs SD... windows 8 and 10 are allready on the 720p HTML5 app...