cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Are Sky One Offering Selective PL Live Matches ?

Noticed that Sky One showed the West Ham v Chelsea match live last Saturday which was also shown on the NowTV live Sky One channel stream.

Looking ahead this week on the Sky TV Guide planner that there is another Live PL game between Leicester City v Crystal Place which is going to be shown live on Sky One this Saturday at 11.30am.

So i am wondering if Sky are going to make this a regular occurrence for selective Premier League matches during the course of the Football season ?

Personally i am not that interested in Football, but it might be welcomed by people who enjoy Football who have an entertainment pass and fancy watching the occasional match now and again.

88 REPLIES 88
starman73
Elite

@schnapps wrote:

Otherwise i might have to bite the bullet and buy a nowtv day sports pass for the Rugby match.

I just applied my last day pass voucher to my account as it expires at the end of May.  As I have BT Sport, Sky One and Sky Sports Mix on Virgin, not sure I will need it until August as they seem to have most of what I want to watch covered for the next few weeks and there will be plenty of football elsewhere thia summer.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @starman73

Hopefully, like last year the Champions Cup Rugby Final will be shown on Sky One (will keep an eye out on the Sky TV guide when we get closer to the date to see if it's going to be available on Sky One).

I don't follow either of the two teams in the final, so if it's not on Sky One, i might wait until the Highlight's are on in the evening on S4C where they should also show the Highlights of the Cardiff v Gloucester match as well).

starman73
Elite

@schnapps wrote:

Hopefully, like last year the Champions Cup Rugby Final will be shown on Sky One (will keep an eye out on the Sky TV guide when we get closer to the date to see if it's going to be available on Sky One).

It will be the last I see of Leinster and Munster on Sky with Pro 14 moving to Premier Sports and Champions Cup moving to BT Sport.  Not sure what the viewing figures are but I would have thought having the Pro 14 clubs paticularly the Welsh, Irish and Scots would have been a big draw.   Sky only have the internationals outside six nations and world cup now.     Not sure what Action and Arena will be showing next September.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @starman73

Premier Sports who have the broadcasting rights for the Pro 14 next year did say that they will show one live match each week on their sister channel Free Sports on Freeview.

Edit ~ Also i am sure that I read somewhere that either Channel 4 or Channel 5 have agreed with the ERC that one Champions Cup Rugby match will also be aired live during the pool and quarter finals stages next year (where i believe BT Sports have the rights exclusively to both semi finals and final)

Not sure about the Challenge Rugby Cup, will need too google it to find the answer.

starman73
Elite

@schnapps wrote:

Hi @starman73

Premier Sports who have the broadcasting rights for the Pro 14 next year did say that they will show one live match each week on their sister channel Free Sports on Freeview.

I guess like BT Showcase they will show the games that don't attract subscribers, so plenty of Benetton and Zebre along with Cheetahs and the Southern Kings.  DoubtLeinster and Munster will figure too much.   Freesports has been pretty frustrating for me.  They were supposed to show GAA but apparently they didn't have the rights, so games that were on the EPG were replaced with no notice.  And since they messed around with the Crystal Palace transmitter I only get it on one TV.

starman73
Elite

@schnapps wrote:

Also i am sure that I read somewhere that either Channel 4 or Channel 5 have agreed with the ERC that one Champions Cup Rugby match will also be be aired live during the pool and quarter finals stages next year (where i believe BT Sports have the rights exclusively to both semi finals and final)

Rugby rights are a bit of a mess.  Never entirely sure where a game will be on.  Channel 5 are due to show five games a season from the Aviva, but this season broadcast most of them in April.   

starman73
Elite

Suspect I will be suffering from deja vu this summer!

http://www.skysports.com/watch/rugby-union-on-sky

SAT 9TH JUNE

• New Zealand 08:35 France International Match, Sky Sports Main Event (08:00), Sky Sports Action (08:00)
  • Australia 11:00 Ireland  International Match, Sky Sports Main Event (10:45), Sky Sports Action (10:45)
  • South Africa 16:05 England International Match, Sky Sports Main Event (15:00), Sky Sports Action (15:00)

SAT 16TH JUNE

• New Zealand 08:35 France International Match, Sky Sports Main Event (08:00), Sky Sports Action (08:00)
  • Australia 11:00 Ireland International Match, Sky Sports Action (10:45)
  • South Africa 16:05 England International Match, Sky Sports Main Event (15:00), Sky Sports Action (15:00)

And they all play each other on 23 June as well.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @starman73

Reading this news article, it looks like Channel 4 will have a total of 9 live matches from the Champions Rugby Cup each year starting from October 2018 until 2022 , including a quarter final, semi final and the final Smiley Happy

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/channel-4-to-broadcast-european-rugby-champions-cup-until-20... 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnappswrote:

Might be useful if somebody want's to watch the game using their nowtv entertainment pass and saving them buying a nowtv day sports pass to watch the match Smiley Happy 

Must admit it is a nice bonus.  Saves me starting a day pass until that evening to get Barcelona game, Game of the Day, Match Choice and three Sunday games (Palace v Spurs; Man U v Chelsea and Arsenal v Man City - Cup final).    Can watch the rugby in the afternoon.