cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Flaggy69
Occasional Poster

Re: 1080P update

...and always has been.

Not a practical option for those of us who only occasionally subscribe. Like currently I do for GoT. (Though I'd regularly get Cinema if it was in 1080p with surround sound like the other services I pick flit between)

I just plain don't watch enough TV, so Sky/Now aren't interested in the thousands of us like that.

I'm sure Netflix and Amazon aren't complaining.

(Might be my imagination, wishful thinking or maybe something to do with bandwidth, but GoT tonight did look better defined)

0 Thanks
Champcar59
Contributor 5

if getting 1080p leads to a full Sky subscription they would need to supply more than 11 channels only way they will get customers to keep paying.

0 Thanks
Tolmie35
Contributor 3

Ive been on this forum for years telling people that if they ever did 1080p with framerate fixed then there would be a charge, Im amazed that people thought this wouldnt happen.

They do not want to hurt there sat business.

robert1997
Scholar 5

It would be naive to think they won't charge extra for an upgraded service.

gavs82008
Advocate 1

Exactly, considering Sky charges £5 on top of the bill for HD on selected channels. 

From what I recall its only selected Freeview HD channels and the sports that comes as "free" as part of the pakcages. Not sure about the movie channels though. 

Either way, its long overdue to get 1080p on Now TV.

0 Thanks
Pentavrit
Occasional Poster

robert1997
Scholar 5

A lot of speculation and conjecture in that article, not atypical of the stuff usually found on that site.

0 Thanks
tonycv51
Contributor 1

Watching venom last night via a now tv smart box (the one with freeview receiver functionality) the TV showed the signal info as 1080p. So is the now tv box "up scaling" the 720p transmission to 1080p format? Or is it actually 1080p? Still crappy stereo sound - wish the movies choice was a bit better on netflix or prime
0 Thanks
gavs82008
Advocate 1

Having seen clear differences of Now TV between my 4K tv and a standard 1080p TV I would say that it’s just being upscaled and not actually outputting at 1080p.

As much as I’d want it to be 1080p right now, I can’t see it happening unless you pay a bit extra.
It was suggested in a survey last year that 1080p along with 5.1 surround sound and 4 streams at once would come at a cost of £5 which would cover all passes.
Hopefully we see something happen in time for the Now TV launch on BT TV boxes, which is when I suspect it will.
0 Thanks
MikeyFett
Contributor 4

My understanding of the NowTV box is that it is 1080P capable. When you connect to the TV it will therefore state '1080P' on screen. However, that does NOT mean that the stream you are receiving is 1080P. In the case of NowTV, it is still 720P although some TV's will upscale the output so that it looks better than that.

Hope that helps 😁
0 Thanks