Contributor 2

Re: 5.1 Sound and 1080p

Dear friends,

I have drafted a letter to Alun Webber, the Chief Product Officer at Sky.

Please feel free to send it to him (alun.webber@sky.uk), amending and adjusting it to your needs. Let's really campaign and do it well. We can do this, guys.

Dear Mr. Webber,

I am currently a Now TV customer and receive Sky Cinema via an app on my television.

I’d like to draw your attention to a forum on your website (http://community.nowtv.com/t5/Cinema/5-1-Sound-and-1080p/m-p/402553/highlight/false#M9030) where several of Now TV’s users are bemoaning the lack of 1080p HD picture and 5:1 Dolby Digital sound available on the movies on offer. The comments from users is both passionate and informed, almost all vociferously appalled at the manner in which Now TV seems to have intentionally withheld technical features that it affords its Sky Cinema satellite subscribers. This is both unfair and illogical.

We are most chagrined by the concept of Sky Cinema being the hub of film content, yet mortified by it compromised picture and sound capabilities, especially when there is no tangible reasons for this. Now TV Sky Cinema subscribers are as important as your satellite clients, which ultimately makes us question why we are being short changed.

Sky Cinema is a portal to the best of film from past and present, a valuable source of content for us aficionados. We want access to films in exactly the way esteemed filmmakers want their movies to be delivered, which is seriously undermined by Now TV’s insistence on withholding improved picture and sound facilities.

I am sure that on some corporate level, the strategy of neutering Sky Cinema’s technical profile via Now TV makes sense, but for me it seems petty. There really is not any justifiable reason for 1080p HD picture and 5:1 digital sound not being extended to us on applicable movies.

As Chief Product Officer, I implore you to make Sky Cinema just as technically worthwhile for Now TV subscribers as it is for your other customers.

Best wishes,

Champion 1

Maybe anybody responding could also confirm their surround sound audio gear. Mine is all Audiolab Smiley Wink

• If I've been helpful please press the THANKS button • If I've been really helpful please also press the ACCEPT SOLUTION button • Please note: I'm not a NOW TV employee, I'm a regular NOW TV customer just like you! •

NOW TV Box = Model no: Black box | Software: 7.5.3 Build: 4068-10 | NOW TV app: 3.10.49 • LG TV 1 = Model no: 43UH668V | Software: 04.30.70 | OS: webOS 3.31 • LG TV 2 = Model no: 32LN575V | Software: 04.28.14 | OS: NetCast •

All TV's = NOW TV app: 2.19.2 | Post Processing Features: All disabled  • Networking Spec = ISP: Virgin Media (75Mbps) | Devices connection type: Wired | IP address type: Fixed (device permitting) •

Elite 4

Well I think it should have 20:1 and 4090 surround sound not something as basic as 5.1;-)

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor not staff so cannot help you with account matters I can just attempt to point you in the right direction.

Chat are open 8am to Midnight:

Contact Us...

Devices I am currently using for Now: Android app on Moto E, Chromecast, LG TV, Smart box.
Contributor 1

Having finally upgraded my receiver, I am definitely missing 5.1 from NowTV....c'mon, sort it out!

Champion 1

Dougsey wrote:

Having finally upgraded my receiver, I am definitely missing 5.1 from NowTV....c'mon, sort it out!

Out of interest.... What make and model of receiver have you got?

• If I've been helpful please press the THANKS button • If I've been really helpful please also press the ACCEPT SOLUTION button • Please note: I'm not a NOW TV employee, I'm a regular NOW TV customer just like you! •

NOW TV Box = Model no: Black box | Software: 7.5.3 Build: 4068-10 | NOW TV app: 3.10.49 • LG TV 1 = Model no: 43UH668V | Software: 04.30.70 | OS: webOS 3.31 • LG TV 2 = Model no: 32LN575V | Software: 04.28.14 | OS: NetCast •

All TV's = NOW TV app: 2.19.2 | Post Processing Features: All disabled  • Networking Spec = ISP: Virgin Media (75Mbps) | Devices connection type: Wired | IP address type: Fixed (device permitting) •

Contributor 1

Denon X2300W.  Cracking bit of kit for a decent price (in the whole scheme of things).  Tis slightly frustrating that 5.1 doesn't seem to be on the cards (just noticed the other thread..) when Netflix and Amazon offer this, as does Sky via the HD box and live broadcast.  Weird.  Assume it's a licensing issue maybe.  Dolby Surround and DTS:X upmix the soundtrack and that helps to a degree, but it's not the same as native....

Contributor 2

Dear friends,

We need to keep our campaign going. Stuart Brown is the director, planning and strategy implementation at Sky, meaning he’s the dude that can deliver the things we seek. E-mail ([email removed]) him the below letter and let’s keep on moving in our efforts to make Sky Cinema on Now TV worthwhile.

We are a movement, guys. We can make Now TV a streaming service to be proud of. Just watch and see. (Include your Now TV user name on the e-mail to Mr Brown, that way he know we’re real customers. Also, cc the journalist Joe Cox over at What Hi-Fi to bring our campaign to his attention because he interviewed Mr Brown recently about his work at Sky and Now TV - [email removed])

I love you all.

Dear Mr Brown,

You may now be aware of the campaign on Now TV’s community forum asking for the implementation of Dolby Digital 5:1 surround sound and 1080p HD picture on applicable films featured on Sky Cinema. The campaign is on going and is asking for films on Now TV to be shown the way filmmakers want their art to be broadcast on your service. Considering that the technical improvements we are seeking have been in operation on Sky Cinema via the Sky HD box for years, to extend such features to Now TV customers is perfectly reasonable, especially in this era of competitive streaming media services.

Alas, Now TV’s reluctance to upgrade its technical possibilities for Sky Cinema is greatly unreasonable, especially when one considers that Dolby Digital has been a standard home cinema sound format since 1995, while 1080p HD has become so routine that Ultra HD is now superseding it. These are not new technologies, thus for Sky to not extend such features to its Now TV subscribers reeks of misguided selectivity. It seems very myopic and not fair to film-loving users of your streaming services.

Sky Cinema should be a celebration of the artistry of films, a platform that presents movies in the best ways possible. Cinema is a director’s medium, and no esteemed filmmaker will approve of their work being restricted in its technical aspects because Sky is not recognising how times and expectations have changed for consumers watching Hollywood movies at home on services like Now TV.

As the director, planning and strategy implementation at Sky, you are in a position to actuate the improvements to Now TV your customers seek. Our campaign will sustain until Sky Cinema on Now TV honours the art of film and introduces Dolby Digital 5:1 surround sound and 1080p HD picture.

I am copying Joe Cox of What-Hi-Fi on this e-mail to make him aware of the campaign.

Best wishes,

Elite 4

@Irf7 I do read your posts with great amusement.

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor not staff so cannot help you with account matters I can just attempt to point you in the right direction.

Contact Us...

Devices I am currently using for Now: Android app on Moto E, Chromecast, LG TV, Smart box.
Contributor 2

[ Edited ]

Dear bredrins,

If you want to e-mail the above letter to Stuart Brown, director, planning and strategy implementation at Sky, then e-mail him at (email removed), and cc What Hi-Fi’s Joe Cox at (email removed).

Now TV’s incomprehensible stance at withholding Dolby Digital 5:1 surround sound has vexed me even further as last night I rented Independence Day: Resurgence for £3.50 in standard definition via Amazon, and they still threw in DD 5:1 sound for nowt. Sky ‘s resistance on this front signals nothing short of complete contempt for its customer base; a real hatred for those forgoing a fixed contract for its Sky Cinema output.

This brings me on to a serious point, fellas, that of legality. For the first time, rights on digital content have been set out in legislation. The Consumer Rights Act 2015 stipulates that: “There are now also new, clear rules for what should happen if a service is not provided with reasonable care and skill or as agreed.” Sky Cinema is broadcast in DD via the HD box, yet that care and skill, for the vey same product, is not afforded to Now TV customers. Now TV is unreasonably treating its customers and I encourage you all to contact Consumer Services to bring it to their attention.

Furthermore, Sky Cinema via Now TV, does not offer any subtitles, thus in breech of the Equality Act 2010, where the provision of services must meet the needs of those with protected characteristics. Disabled people with sight and hearing problems are put at a disadvantage because of Now TV’s policies; therefore it is breaking the law. All this can be legally contested.

Now TV is taking liberties here, folks. We have a legal case. Fight with me.

Elite 4

@Rob-T email address in above post

Contact Us...