cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
outsideUK

I joined from outside UK without realizing

I joined a six month membership from outside the UK, not realising my VPN had allowed me to join, but the same VPN would not allow me to view.

Now i am locked into a subscription that I can not use for a minimum 6 month period. 

Strange for me that the VPN worked long enough to sucure the contract and payment, but not for viewing the content.... i feel i should be allowed to cancel the subscription without charge, as anything less would be theft on the providers part.

5 REPLIES 5
redchiz1
Champion 2

Oh dear, what a shame. The VPN was obviously good enough to allow you to bypass geo-location during the order process, but not when trying to stream. Search the help pages for how to contact the support team, they don't respond on here. 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@outsideUK 

Use the ‘How to get in touch’ drop down when signed in to speak with staff.
https://help.nowtv.com/get-in-touch/tv/vouchers-and-offers

You can then request to delete your account which can be done using this link.
https://help.nowtv.com/article/make-a-data-request

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
RoyB
Legend

@outsideUK 

Now don’t let you watch over a VPN, but I would imagine you can’t subscribe from an IP address outside the UK.

Did you try to, and is that why you used the VPN?

But what did you give for an address, and for a credit/debit card? As I think Now might balk at either of these things being non-UK. And if they didn’t, perhaps they should have.

I found, when abroad, that I couldn’t order my regular monthly prescription from abroad, even though this would have been for UK delivery and use when I got home to the UK. So I did it over a VPN, and everything was fine.

I also needed to use a VPN to check my lottery ticket from abroad. That’s OK, but the penalties for buying a ticket over a VPN from abroad, and then winning, are quite draconian; you won’t get the money, even if you are back in the UK in time for the draw.

So the use of a VPN is fraught with perils, and can blow up in your face if you aren’t careful, as here.

But if you gave a UK address and a UK card, then Now had no way of knowing you wouldn’t be returning to the UK to take advantage of it, e.g. as when someone is on holiday abroad and notices a Now offer that will expire before they get home, and hastens to take advantage of it over a VPN.

Short answer; if you didn’t give Now truthful location information, you can hardly accuse them of ‘theft’ based on that. (Though if indeed, you did give them an address abroad and they didn’t query it, that’s different, but it still isn’t theft).

But fire up your trusty VPN, and get onto Now Live Chat, and I daresay they will rescue you from your plight.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
outsideUK
very logical answer…. And I can’t disagree with any of it.

>From my side I use VPN by default, and my credit card is registered to my
UK address, hence why my details are indeed Uk.

But sayin that, I was able to buy the product without issue…. But unable to
use…. And would therefore hope that they would not hold me to the contract
considering. Would not be in good character. So I remain hopeful and will
keep you posted on my progress.

Best regards
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@outsideUK 

That said I have the US version of Peacock installed on my iPhone, and Spains version of HBO Max. Both which I am able to pay using my UK card details and of course not watch unless I slap on a VPN. 

Although it doesn't matter much now as I cancelled Peacock a while back and passed the HBO Max Spainish version to my folks who live in Spain and foot that bill. So I still get access to it in some shape of form haha. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help