cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Daygo5
Mentor

Freeview

My now smart box or remote doesn't work, have downloaded the now app on my smart TV and have lost the freeview TV guide, can anyone help me so I can get my freeview TV back, have done the usual tests and even contacted the now phone helpline to no avail. Many thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MrObvious
Scholar

So what I think you're saying, correct me if I'm wrong, but you used to use a NOW TV Smart Box with Freeview (the one with the blue logo on top) and for whatever reason that has now stopped working.

And you have now plugged your TV aerial into your actual Smart TV and downloaded the NOW app and expecting to be able to watch Freeview within there?

The NOW TV Smart Box with Freeview is the only device you'll be able to plug an aerial into and watch Freeview within the NOW interface.

To watch Freeview on your TV you would have to switch to the terrestrial tv input/source and run a channel scan.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
MrObvious
Scholar

So what I think you're saying, correct me if I'm wrong, but you used to use a NOW TV Smart Box with Freeview (the one with the blue logo on top) and for whatever reason that has now stopped working.

And you have now plugged your TV aerial into your actual Smart TV and downloaded the NOW app and expecting to be able to watch Freeview within there?

The NOW TV Smart Box with Freeview is the only device you'll be able to plug an aerial into and watch Freeview within the NOW interface.

To watch Freeview on your TV you would have to switch to the terrestrial tv input/source and run a channel scan.

Hope this helps.

Daygo5
Mentor

No, using the usual set box not  the wire into the TV if I get your meaning. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Daygo5 

I don't use my NOW Freeview Smart box anymore to test on your behalf.

Have you double checked the TV aerial into the rear of the NOW Freeview Smart box.

Usually when on the main home screen by pressing the back button a couple of times should get a menu down the left hand side of the screen where one of the options is to retune the TV channels.

I don't know if this has changed since a newer NOW software update.

Do you have an active NOW Membership subscription currently ? 

If yes, have you tried a full factory reset on the NOW Freeview Smart by turning the box over and holding in the small micro reset switch for around 20 to 30 seconds whilst both the TV and NOW box is powered up.

Daygo5
Mentor

Yes checked the ariel lead but not  the double tap suggestions will try that. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Daygo5 

If you want to use the Freeview channels directly from the NOW Freeview Smart box you need to ensure the TV aerial is directly plugged into the NOW box.

Inside the NOW App on your new Smart TV there will be no Freeview channels option like the NOW Freeview Smart box.

The new Smart TV Freeview channels will be independent of the native NOW App on your new Smart TV and not integrated together like the NOW Freeview Smart box.

Where you will either have to use Freeview through your new Smart TV by plugging the TV aerial into the new TV or plugging the TV aerial into the back of the NOW Freeview Smart box.

Or use a TV aerial splitter and use both.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Daygo5 

Ignore my post above if you want to use the Freeview channels directly from your NOW Freeview Smart box where the TV aerial is plugged directly into the NOW external box rather than using the inbuilt TV tuner on your television.

Only go down the factory reset route of the NOW box if you currently have an active NOW Membership TV subscription (otherwise after a factory reset NOW will ask you to start a TV subscription with them or start a free trial where the only free trial currently is a NOW Hayu Membership).

Where towards the end of the setup process you are asked to tune the TV channels over the TV aerial on the NOW Freeview Smart box.

Like I said I don't use the NOW Freeview Smart box anymore and even with the latest NOW software update there should be an option somewhere on the NOW Freeview Smart box to retune the TV terrestrial channels over the TV aerial.

Daygo5
Mentor

Thanks will try what you've suggested. 

Daygo5
Mentor

Thanks, don't know how or how long it'll last but started playing with the remote and freeview TV guide came up, I'm flummoxed as to what I did but its now working normally,  thanks again for the help and support. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Daygo5 

Also If you can access Settings on the NOW Freeview Smart box, check if NOW have moved the TV channels retune into there.

When I was using the NOW Freeview Smart box a few years back there was a seperate section other than Settings to retune the TV channels over the aerial.

Maybe NOW have moved it into the Settings section on the box (it must be there somewhere).