cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
patmcl
Mentor

Being overcharged

Looks like I've been caught out by the out of contract  email and being overcharged for my broadband. I received an out of contract email last month that quite clearly states the following:

Do nothing and continue with your existing membership for £23.50 a month.

Or

Pick from one of the packages available to you below.

Naturally I choose to do nothing and today my bill has gone up to £46.50. I've gathered this is been happening a lot with others, what can I do to get Now to put my charges back down to £23.50 as well as refunding the difference they've already taken?

19 REPLIES 19
Jayach
Elite 3

@redchiz1 

@redchiz1 wrote:

@RoyB 

But it is not necessarily contradictory.

???

If it says "Do nothing and continue with your existing membership for £23.50 a month.", and they then charge £46.50, that is definately contradictory.

redchiz1
Champion 2

@Jayach 

Until the discount expires, yes. 

Jayach
Elite 3

@patmcl wrote:

So I called the broadband team this morning and the advisor was adamant that regardless of what the email said above the fact that there was a small section below stating that my first discount would expire 02/03/2024 was their get out, 

The wording also suggest that whilst the first discount expires on 02/03/2024, there will be a second discount for the next year, otherwise why use the word "first" to describe it?

chilli2
Elite 2

Ive got this "This includes discounts totalling £23.00 a month. Your first discount will expire 01/03/2025."

Keeping an eye on my bills just in case

Jayach
Elite 3

@chilli2 

Indeed, it's odd that your email seems different regarding the discount expiry date to the other posters.

Ripped-off
Mentor

@patmcl Leave. If you have not agreed to the new contract i.e. under the "do nothing", you can leave with no penalty. 

I rang and complained over the £43.50 new bill. You get the original email from NOW. The whole thing is/was a con by them.  After several calls I got back £50 (total) + free month +£7.50 credit. This being over charge for 3 payments. Still awaiting other details from NOW.

Good news, as not signed up moved onto another provider. I used YOUFIBRE (150Mbs = 18Mbytes + anytime calls) for £30/month, fixed for 2 years. As part of  joining up install of Fibreoptic line and new router.

I am sure when you read the whole email you will see What a con.  

patmcl
Mentor

@Ripped-off 

I don't want to leave as I can't sign up to a new 12 month or more contract at the moment.

patmcl
Mentor

I've just had a reply from my complaint and it seems they do know there's an issue, what they do about it and how long it takes them is another question. Anyone else had a similar response. 

"Thank you for getting in touch. 

I am so sorry to hear of the impact the email has had on you and its something we are aware of and working on resolving. 

We are currently waiting for an update from the relevant team as to the next steps to put things right so we will be in touch as soon as we receive an update. "

Lets hope they do see some sense.

Jayach
Elite 3

@patmcl 

Have you actually raised an official complaint, they are probably the only team that can give you a satisfactory outcome.

How to make a complaint (nowtv.com)

patmcl
Mentor

@Jayach 

Yes, this was in response to my official complaint to the relevant complaints team.