cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now tv box crashes on power on

i have been getting this more often than not. I power up the now tv box, the flashing logo comes on and the grey mottled background appears but no text. It hangs enlessly with just the grey background. No amount of button pressing gets any response. The only way to get it re-booted is to power off and on from the mains.

Is this a common fault ?

18 REPLIES 18
Legend 5
Legend 5

A few people have had similar problems. Have you tried changing input away from the HDMI and then back again. I find I sometimes have to do that. What button are you pressing on your remote?
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I try all buttons with no response. I would say it happens 50/50 everytime I turn the machine on. I never leave it plugged in the mains because of it's power usage,

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

I never leave it plugged in the mains because of it's power usage,

Actually, despite what's stated on the supplied PSU, the black box runs fine on a typical 5 volt/1A power supply. Indeed many of todays 'smart' TV's are able to pump-out enough juice to keep it happy - if you can source the right lead... Smiley Wink

Cheers

Legend 5
Legend 5

This might interest you http://help.nowtv.com/article/NOW-TV-Box-Tech-Spec the usage is low less than an energy light bulb.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Must say I have never had a single issue with all my NowTV black boxes that I have owned (touch wood), they have all been rock solid & stable.

With any of my smart Internet connected devices that may need software updates overnight, I have always left them permanently switched on at the mains.

Maybe consistent powering off and on all the time is some how corrupting the software command boot up files on the NowTV boxes.

ukbobboy
Legend

@4268 @SeeMoreDigital @schnapps

Guys

Do you think that @Anonymous User constant plugging in and plugging out of the Now TV box could have caused the crashing problem to develop?

You know, I don't believe the boxes were designed with daily in and out "plugging" in mind, it is something I would certainly not do, so I am not entirely surprised a fault has started to appear.

At this point I would suggest that Hubballi return the box, if it is still under guarantee, and exchange it for another one.  As said before, the box has no replaceable or repairable parts.

UK Bob

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Has Hubbali ever done a hard reset on the back of the box, to see if that resolves it ?

How to hard reset box in help article below.

http://help.nowtv.com/article/Hard-Reset-NOW-TV-Box

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Well it's no surprise that I have the one in a zillion duff box because this always happens with everything I buy, and I mean everything. Camera, pc, humax recorder, lenses, and many more which is why I am used to it. 

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi Hubballi

Once I met a guy who had this particular problem, every time he walked into an office all the computers would throw a wobbly, i.e. started to behave  erratically, and would not go back to normal until he left the office.

I have even heard of some people causing electrical items to blow up (probably a mini-explosion) in their presence.

Silly question coming up, but are you one of these rare electrically     charged people?

UK Bob