cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Merseyside’s ambitions come under the Sky Sports microscope once again this weekend, as Fantasy Football managers are treated to a quartet of live matches to aid their scouting missions.

Again, it’s Chelsea who kick-start matters, as Jose Mourinho’s side look to recover from the damaging defeat to Crystal Palace against  a Stoke side that’s won four of its last five league encounters. Sunday’s fare is dominated by the Merseyside pair, as Everton go into their crunch clash with Arsenal at Goodison with fourth place in the balance. Then it’s Liverpool’s turn to flex their goal scoring muscles once more, as they look for a ninth straight win at Upton Park. Finally, we’re treated to a Monday night under lights as Sunderland’s fading hopes of Premier League survival face a White Hart Lane examination.

Chelsea will be looking to Hazard for inspiration.

Chelsea’s meeting with Stoke is another banana skin for Mourinho’s men, who simply cannot afford to slip up after the Selhurst Park setback. Mark Hughes’ side are in fine form and will be optimistic on troubling the Blues, who could well be occupied by thoughts of a Champions League second leg with Paris St Germain on Tuesday. Nonetheless, I have to back a Chelsea victory. I can see the Blues’ back four holding strong and earning a sixth consecutive home clean sheet, while Eden Hazard’s (£8.8m) influence is again likely to be pivotal in dragging them to three points.

Everton's Romelu Lukaku will be hoping to use his power to unsettle Arsenal's defence.

Everton’s run of five straight wins has put them firmly back in the frame for a Champions League place and Sunday’s clash with an out-of-sorts Arsenal could well be the decider. The Gunners have just one victory in their last five league matches and will arrive at Goodison wary of the threat posed by Roberto Martinez’s men. The power of Romelu Lukaku (£8.6m) is sure to trouble an Arsenal back four without the services of Laurent Koscielny, while the trickery of 4.3-priced Ross Barkley (who is looking likely to be fit), Kevin Mirallas, at £6.5m, and Gerard Deulofeu (£7.0m) will pose the threat from deeper areas. Given the form, I have to back further joy for the Everton faithful, with Deulofeu set to be given a run at an Arsenal rearguard, having scored a wonder goal in their encounter at the Emirates earlier in the season.

Liverpool talisman and goal-scoring machine, Luis Suarez.

Focus then switches to the very top of the table, as Liverpool look to continue an incredible run of victories with another three points at West Ham. Brendan Rodgers’ side have scored a remarkable 30 goals from their last eight league matches and, despite West Ham going into this match off back-to-back wins, it’s difficult to see the home side taming the Luis Suarez (£9.9m) and Daniel Sturridge (£9.2m) strike pairing. Predictably, there looks to be further goals for the “SAS” duo, with Philippe Coutinho and Raheem Sterling (priced at £7.8m and £4.8m respectively) providing further attacking impetus from Rodgers’ midfield diamond.

Spurs welcome back Emmanuel Adebayor.

Matters conclude at the Lane, with Sunderland’s plight over the relegation trapdoor looking critical. Last week’s setback against the Hammers has put Gus Poyet’s side on the brink and they will need to return from North London with at least a point. Tim Sherwood’s outfit have suffered three defeats in four but are set to welcome back Emmanuel Adebayor (£7.6m) in their attack. I’m expecting a tense, cagey encounter, won by a moment of brilliance or a hapless error. I just fancy Sunderland’s extra motivation will be a factor, here, with Adam Johnson’s (£7.4m) creativity and goal threat proving a match winning ingredient.

Despite being kept on the bench in recent outings, the Black Cats’ winger remains a worthy pick, then, and I’ll take Johnson as my key man from this weekend’s live matches.